For any rings you found at the beach, how much were they worth?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$64 question.
Gold content
Diamond vs Zirconia
Glass vs Gemstone
Resale vs scrap.
It's a very wide topic, and many variables to the question.
Yes but I was hoping for people to throw out personal examples from what they have found.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly only worth the value of the gold, most diamond rings are not worth a lot once sold unless they are a nice solitare.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I found a very nice gold & diamond wedding band at a fresh water beach. Took to a jeweler who gave an estimate of $700 (I did not pay him, but gave his opinion). A woman customer in the store contacted me outside, and offered me $700 for it. Nice!

Your best bet for scrap is use Midwest Refineries, and keep any precious stone for your collection.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very nice gold & diamond wedding band at a fresh water beach. Took to a jeweler who gave an estimate of $700 (I did not pay him, but gave his opinion). A woman customer in the store contacted me outside, and offered me $700 for it. Nice!

Your best bet for scrap is use Midwest Refineries, and keep any precious stone for your collection.
Thank you for your reply. I'm surprised they only offered $700 for that. I know they have to make a profit but I would have expected more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply. I'm surprised they only offered $700 for that. I know they have to make a profit but I would have expected more.
There is a tremendous markup on diamond rings, you lose about 50% of the buy price once you walk out the door of the jewelry store on most common diamond rings depending on the cut, clarity, color and carot size of the stone.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a tremendous markup on diamond rings, you lose about 50% of the buy price once you walk out the door of the jewelry store on most common diamond rings depending on the cut, clarity, color and carot size of the stone.
Wow. I didn't know that.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say somebody paid $2,000 for a gold ring and lost it at the beach. If you found that ring how much might a jewelry shop offer you for it?

How much might they sell it for?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say somebody paid $2,000 for a gold ring and lost it at the beach. If you found that ring how much might a jewelry shop offer you for it?

How much might they sell it for?
Jewelry stores are in the business of selling new jewelry not buying used, you would be lucky to get 25% of original price if you are lucky, maybe a little more if it is designer jewelry brand like Tiffany's or Cartier....

People go to pawn shops to sell and they still pay low, most of the value is in the gold unless like I said earlier it is a high quality large solitare. A $2000 gold ring no stones is worth only the weight of the gold, and they do not pay the full value of the gold.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry stores are in the business of selling new jewelry not buying used, you would be lucky to get 25% of original price if you are lucky, maybe a little more if it is designer jewelry brand like Tiffany's or Cartier....

People go to pawn shops to sell and they still pay low, most of the value is in the gold unless like I said earlier it is a high quality large solitare. A $2000 gold ring no stones is worth only the weight of the gold, and they do not pay the full value of the gold.
Thank you.

opalboy

Nov 3, 2012
We have a store and I’m a buyer, most rings and things I buy end up being sold for scrap, about 1/6 of original retail price, this gives us a good ”estate”section, and when I sell, my scrap buyer says he pays 98% of spot, but in real life he pays 85 - 90%. The diamond buyers are really cheap! So this ends up reflecting in what I will pay for stuff. Bullion I pay 95% to spot depending on the market.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you sell it ?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly only worth the value of the gold, most diamond rings are not worth a lot once sold unless they are a nice solitare.
If I found a solitaire diamond ring I can't send that in to a smelter since there is a diamond with the ring.

How would I get money for the diamond? How about the ring portion?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found a solitaire diamond ring I can't send that in to a smelter since there is a diamond with the ring.

How would I get money for the diamond? How about the ring portion?
You remove the stones before sending them in to refineries, although some will return them to you.

On a $2000 ring found at the beach the value is in the gold and how much gold there is, there is next to no resale value in the stones.

Gold content
10k = 41.7% gold
12k = 50% gold
14k = 58.3% gold,
18k = 75% gold.
22k = 91.67% gold
24k = 99.9% gold

There are gold calculators on line you can use to get gold value, multiply the weight of the ring times k value based on spot price of gold.

Here is link to one.

Most refineries will not deal with a single ring, not worth the trouble so save and cash in multiple rings at same time, the different Karots want matter, they will melt them down together, then test the k of them melted down and pay a percentage of that. I want except less than 90% of gold value so ask what they are paying before you have it melted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You remove the stones before sending them in to refineries, although some will return them to you.

On a $2000 ring found at the beach the value is in the gold and how much gold there is, there is next to no resale value in the stones.

Gold content
10k = 41.7% gold
12k = 50% gold
14k = 58.3% gold,
18k = 75% gold.
22k = 91.67% gold
24k = 99.9% gold

There are gold calculators on line you can use to get gold value, multiply the weight of the ring times k value based on spot price of gold.

Here is link to one.

Most refineries will not deal with a single ring, not worth the trouble so save and cash in multiple rings at same time, the different Karots want matter, they will melt them down together, then test the k of them melted down and pay a percentage of that. I want except less than 90% of gold value so ask what they are paying before you have it melted.
Your post was very helpful.

Next to no resale value for the stones? Even for a diamond? But that has value.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post was very helpful.

Next to no resale value for the stones? Even for a diamond? But that has value.
Diamonds have lots of value till you buy them and leave the store, then for majority of diamond rings the diamonds value plunge, a $25,000 Tiffany's or Cartier diamond ring will have value, a $2,000 diamond ring not so much. You lose 50% of the value as soon as it leaves the store, add normal wear if worn ever day and loses more.

The gold is the actual resale value in a $2000 diamond ring.

Last edited:

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
It was not an offer. I just asked for an on the spot opinion. I doubt he would have paid me that price (unless it was much more valuable than he said).

I just got lucky.
Did you sell it ?
Yes. To the woman that was a customer in the store, but she bought it outside.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold content
10k = 41.7% gold
12k = 50% gold
14k = 58.3% gold,
18k = 75% gold.
22k = 91.67% gold
24k = 99.9% gold

Here is link to one.

So if I found a 14k gold ring weighing 4 oz, assuming the smelter wuld pay 90% of the spot price which is now $1,957 this means I could get $4,086 (1957 x .90 x 4 x .58).

Are these calculations correct?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I found a 14k gold ring weighing 4 oz, assuming the smelter wuld pay 90% of the spot price which is now $1,957 this means I could get $4,086 (1957 x .90 x 4 x .58).

Are these calculations correct?

Yes that is pretty close, now the only problem is finding a 4 oz gold ring.:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread