for the birds

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
IMG_1638.jpg female black headed Grosbeak. thought it was a rose breasted 'til this am when the male showed up. IMG_1650.jpg

purple finch, red bellied woodpecker, family of chickadees. requisite cardinals.
funny what caught my attention this am was a call I wasn't instantly familiar with. Turned out it was a male Northern Oriole squawkin' at the male Black headed Grosbeak. The oriole was camera shy I guess so I just got the Grosbeak. But what a pair of beautifully colored birds. Wish I had gotten the shot.
maybe tomorrow.
IMG_1653.jpg IMG_1655.jpg IMG_1656.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the birds to. I have Gold, Purple finches, and a pair of Downey woodpeckers that visit my feeders. Lately I believe (not positive) that a pair of Grosbeaks are coming around. The male's head is solid yellow with a orangish red cap on it's head. The female has a good sized patch of white on it's wing. Thanks for sharing!

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy the birds too. But we are still getting bouts of snow, and the Robin is setting on her nest keeping the eggs warm anyway. The other birds are keeping me busy keeping the feeder supplied.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your purple finch is actually a house finch. House finch male has reddish orange on head and breast. Brown toward back and tail. Purple finch has purple head to tail. Here is a pic of a purple finch. Gary

DSC04999.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05000.JPG
    DSC05000.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 39

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming that we have both, because I see both types. Thanks for heads-up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bird feeding setup! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you got a Zoo going on theres a bird by my feeder that flies into my window and my car window and the neighbors car window I like birds but this one is nutz . Nice pics thats alot of cool looking ones.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they fly into windows because it feels so good when they stop lol..
(old joke)

Actually, they think they see another bird. Some people will put things on the window so the bird will realize it is not another bird.
Easier to do on a house window.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For years we had 20+ wild parrots come to a feeder I built especially for them. Neighbor across the street fed them too. About 3 years ago they stopped coming although I get an occasional 1 or 2. We had a pretty strong tropical storm and a lot of them are now spotted on the mainland so maybe the wind blew them west off the island? I miss them. KIMG0348.jpg
Not a good pic but you get the idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread