✅ SOLVED For the horse shoe experts out there

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found dozens of horse shoes, but don't bring any home unless they are corrective shoes. This one is different. It has thin strips of metal on the upper side. What would be the purpose of these. IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a heavy traction shoe, the "ears" help hold it in place under a load.

Thats what I think too, like ones you would see on the horses in Europe that pull the carriages on cobblestone roads with lots of hills.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Takes the strain off the nails. If the hoof wall is broken up and you can't get all the nails you want, toe and side clips take the strain off the good, holding nails you can get, that are nailed into sound hoof wall, and those clips help hold the shoe on the foot. For example, a shoe gets hung up and the horse struggles until shoe is pulled, then the clinched nails break out large chunks of hoof wall. Also with the heel caulks and toe grab on the shoe, that amount of traction would put plenty of strain on the nails, hence the clips to help hold the shoe in place. Those clips back by the heels tells me the hoof wall was probably broken up and those were to help hold the shoe. If a shoe with those clips back by the heels was left on the foot for to long, the horse probably would come up lame. When weight is placed on the foot, the heels expand, kind of a shock absorber, for lack of a better word. If the heels can't expand there is a big chance the animal would get contracted heels, which is very painful to the horse.

Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, did someone say lame horse.

I love the taste of horse.

But that does not mean anything, being from South Texas like right on the border I just like the taste of meat, not too picky and will eat just about any meat 30 or 40 times.

But I did have a good Frikadella the other day.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

But that does not mean anything, being from South Texas like right on the border I just like the taste of meat, not too picky and will eat just about any meat 30 or 40 times.

My Grandmother made a great frikadella. My sister was supposed to give me the recipe but think she forgot.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

They say meats meat, which would include snake. I aint eating snake meat. I've eaten lots of other kinds of meat, but never skunk or snake, not in the past, not now, not never. Which is a double negative, so just to be sure, I'll say never, never, never.

Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They say meats meat, which would include snake. I aint eating snake meat. I've eaten lots of other kinds of meat, but never skunk or snake, not in the past, not now, not never. Which is a double negative, so just to be sure, I'll say never, never, never.

Never had skunk either, did catch one one time with my room mate when I was very young. I wanted to mess with the Staff Duty in the Air Assault course we where in. Man the only time you get to play Dumb Private in the military is when you are at the tactical training schools, because first off they do not know if you are dumb or not, second you are there for a very short time and if you are not dumb on course then they do not want to deal with you and try to undumb you any, third a Skunk can spray you like 11 times I found out that night before it can not spray anymore, who would have guessed that.

God designs this tasty looking little critter with a built in defense protocol, but God screwed up and had no idea that one day a place called South Texas would actually exist and be inhabited by something that is technically human but we just have other ways of seeing life.

So we walk into Staff Duty holding this little fella, stinking like very bad let me tell you. The Staff Duty NCO jumps up and say oh my God, I say right away, I know right, odd place to find a stray cat, little fella is all cold and wet just hanging out at the Bs. He says to me you dont smell it, well yes Sgt I smell it thats why I said it was a stray cat, how many house cats you know that smell like this.

So I tell him I am just going to sit over here and wait for animal control to come by. The smell I am used to by now, 11 times I was sprayed by this stray kitty, but it is overwhelming for him and his runner that he just says OK and tells us he will be outside.

20 minutes go by and the runner is sent to us so he can ask us when animal control is coming by. I look at him confused and say well how should I know, when did they tell you they where coming. The runner says you did not call them, I said no of course not, I am not from around these parts, how would I know the number, I am only here for a few days on course.

Another 45 minutes go by and animal control shows up, we walk out and hand over the skunk at the man truck. He asked me if it scratched or bit us, I said hell no I am not dumb enough to let skunk bite me. He says you know this is a skunk, are you guys just screwing with the Staff Duty. LOL

Ate many of things, even buzzard, no skunk, no possum, but lots of other critters that most people associate with Not Something You Eat. When it comes to an animal I am like Food Pervert, just can not look at it without thinking how I would cook that thing.

Reason for that is, being from South Texas on our ranch we could eat Beef, Deer or Pork. Man thats gets old after a while, nothing wrong with some squirrel, egg and cheese tacos. The tortilla is the staple, you can put any meat in it you want and with enough jalapeno and cheese it will taste amazing. Plus if you are small enough they cute little things make some cool looking house shoes to.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That shoe is very late 19th century to 20th century. The bar at the top was used well after the Civil War.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had skunk either, did catch one one time with my room mate when I was very young. I wanted to mess with the Staff Duty in the Air Assault course we where in. Man the only time you get to play Dumb Private in the military is when you are at the tactical training schools, because first off they do not know if you are dumb or not, second you are there for a very short time and if you are not dumb on course then they do not want to deal with you and try to undumb you any, third a Skunk can spray you like 11 times I found out that night before it can not spray anymore, who would have guessed that.

God designs this tasty looking little critter with a built in defense protocol, but God screwed up and had no idea that one day a place called South Texas would actually exist and be inhabited by something that is technically human but we just have other ways of seeing life.

So we walk into Staff Duty holding this little fella, stinking like very bad let me tell you. The Staff Duty NCO jumps up and say oh my God, I say right away, I know right, odd place to find a stray cat, little fella is all cold and wet just hanging out at the Bs. He says to me you dont smell it, well yes Sgt I smell it thats why I said it was a stray cat, how many house cats you know that smell like this.

So I tell him I am just going to sit over here and wait for animal control to come by. The smell I am used to by now, 11 times I was sprayed by this stray kitty, but it is overwhelming for him and his runner that he just says OK and tells us he will be outside.

20 minutes go by and the runner is sent to us so he can ask us when animal control is coming by. I look at him confused and say well how should I know, when did they tell you they where coming. The runner says you did not call them, I said no of course not, I am not from around these parts, how would I know the number, I am only here for a few days on course.

Another 45 minutes go by and animal control shows up, we walk out and hand over the skunk at the man truck. He asked me if it scratched or bit us, I said hell no I am not dumb enough to let skunk bite me. He says you know this is a skunk, are you guys just screwing with the Staff Duty. LOL

Ate many of things, even buzzard, no skunk, no possum, but lots of other critters that most people associate with Not Something You Eat. When it comes to an animal I am like Food Pervert, just can not look at it without thinking how I would cook that thing.

Reason for that is, being from South Texas on our ranch we could eat Beef, Deer or Pork. Man thats gets old after a while, nothing wrong with some squirrel, egg and cheese tacos. The tortilla is the staple, you can put any meat in it you want and with enough jalapeno and cheese it will taste amazing. Plus if you are small enough they cute little things make some cool looking house shoes to.

Now that was funny. Never been skunked on, but when your dog gets hit full on, they come to you for lovin'. Sorry doggie, no loves or hugs.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions