For those who can't afford a good detector

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how long ago it was when I bought my Tracker IV, but I'm guessing it was about 15 years ago. Around late summer the bug hits me to go detecting so I grab it and go. It really is a good beeper....and not just for kids. The dual tone with mixed tone in the middle really gives a great deal of information to the user. It starts with solid low tone, then just barely begins to "cluck" with a little mixed tone, then full mixed, then comes out the other end with high tone. The point where those clucks change is adjustable via the disc nob. This all allows you to hear everything and make your own choice what to dig and how the discrimination feeds the info back to you...sort of a poor man's target id. This makes it a really good coin shooter. I've gone beeping with groups using higher end machines on several occasions and in terms of quantity, the Tracker has always made a good accounting for itself, and raised a few eyebrows too.

Worried about missing gold? I found my first gold ring with it (and my second) about 4 inches down...it was small too. Hint..It always double beeps on a ring...old fashion pull tabs too...but dig all those double beeps and you'll find plenty of rings...believe me.

So if you're holding off because you can't afford a "real" detector your missing out for no good reason. Just go grab one and start digging. I promise you'll have a great time.

After all these years I'm finally upgrading. But the old Tracker will always have a place in my trunk.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make some very good points. Too many people these days rely on the VDI when gold items can appear almost anywhere on a VDI scale. While my XP Deus tears it up in a public park, and I can ignore the little foil, that's about all I don't dig. The gold comes in just about where a smallish piece of foil reads and has read as high as a silver dollar (real silver). Sites mean everything. My BEST coin was found with a Tesoro Cibola which cost me $329 and has no vdi and the Cibola also found my best gold and diamond ring. Oh, those were the days. The stuff has to be there to begin with and you have to decide to dig it. I have gone right behind folks and found some great stuff, and on more than one occasion I was trailing them by 20'. No joke. I go slow and dig most everything. If it beeps, it will work.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might come to wish that you hadn't upgraded...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found my own personal “Holy Grail” - an absolutely mint example of the rare Tesoro Pantera. Not deep but lovely Tesoro 120 degree discrimination and a notch!

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to look that one up! Looks way cool!

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just have to brag once more on the TrackerIV. You don't need pinpoint mode on this machine...at all! Your target is right there in the middle of the coil :icon_thumright:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like that machine. It works well and once you learn it's ways you can find as much or more than anybody with a supposedly "better" machine. I think people get too far gone with trying to pre-guess what they will dig using discrimination features. Surely there are better machines that will pick the non ferrous out of a bunch of iron, but if you clean the crap out by digging it all, every time you hunt there will be better because you're cleaning out much of the things that mask the good signals. Everybody has their favorites and it matters not to me what anybody else wants to use but I just don't get into the "mines better than yours crap"! I'm as interested in artifacts of the iron nature as I am coins so I'm digging lots of stuff most people pass up. If you miss targets with it, you didn't get your coil over it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, I hear you. I can't do a heavy machine like the ones you have listed.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...this is crazy. I've had my new Vanquish for about a week and really do love it. But after thorough scouring of the yard with it, tonight I decide to get out the old Tracker IV and see if I pick anything up. Check this out. Rings up at about 21 (same a a zinc penny) on the vanquish...which is probably why I didn't dig it.

ring1.jpg

I can't find any markings on it, but I can't pick it up with a magnet. Anyone know how to tell for sure if it's gold?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't find any markings on it, but I can't pick it up with a magnet. Anyone know how to tell for sure if it's gold?

With no markings = acid test kits......

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much. Going to order a test kit now. Will report back with results.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not gold...still fun to find tho ��

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very helpful post. I considered my purchase of the BH-IV, a downgrade from others I have owned. I realized, much to my embarrassment, that, although it is low-priced as far as detectors go, that it will do exactly what you ask it to. I didn't, apparently, truly understand how to use discrimination, tone, all metal and sensitivity to my advantage. Once I actually read the stupid manual, I realized I was muddling along.
I do like the split-tone feature in tone mode, but I tend not to dig those beeps. Is that wrong? What are those tones saying? That it's trash, or that it may be treasure near trash?
When I hear that, I should mess around with discrimination? I hate the idea of missing that one find because you didn't dig...

Also, the double-beep tip was clutch.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of the monopoly game inventor. He initially wanted to sell them as cheap as possible, so that every household would have a game to play. But, they were not selling. He asked the marketing team, why are they not selling? Their response: It's not priced high enough. They raised the price, and the game became a major hit across the nation. Some people buy things all because it is more expensive, I've seen it many many times. I have a BH IV, but rarely use it. However, I do use Tesoro's, and I'd take a Compadre over one of the space-age types any day of the week. The Cibola is my go-to, for many reasons, but if I did not have my Tesoro's with me, I would not feel handi-capped with a good-ol BH-IV

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are those tones saying? That it's trash, or that it may be treasure near trash?
When I hear that, I should mess around with discrimination? I hate the idea of missing that one find because you didn't dig...

Also, the double-beep tip was clutch.
I guess I'm a little late on my reply...but I'm going to do it for anyone else that might be interested.

So what you do is put a nickle dime penny on the ground. Adjust the mixed tone so that it dual tones on the nickle, and hi tones on the others. The trash will ring up withe the nickle. But you will soon find that it's pretty easy to distinguish the nickles from the trash by there signal.

You can play with the disc knob on various objects find exactly where you want those tones. You've effectively got five adjustable tones on this beeper. Low, mostly low mixed with high, equally mixed, mostly high mixed with low, and finally high.

Depth indicator? We don't need no stinking depth indicator. Just swing your beeper while raising it higher and higher. That will give you an idea of depth...and often size too.

The nuances of this beeper are almost endless. So very versatile.

Also good depth, super fast recovery and excellent separation.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most all name brand detectors are good. Some are just a bit better or deeper than others.
Expensive or cheap, if it beeps dig it. No discriminator is 100% effective in accuracy.

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been a huge fan of the unsung hero machine that is the Tracker IV for many years. I started with it back around 2000. I quickly upgraded thinking I needed a pinpoint button 🤦‍♂️
After many years and trying many machines (still own around 20)..... I have 3 Tracker IV machines. All with different coils mounted. The 4" coil is my favorite. The ability to flip that toggle and make a really good guess before I dig is fun.
The disc circuit is phenomenal! I rate it around the same as the Compadre, but with tones like a Golden Umax.
Once you learn the sounds and how to properly use the toggle, it brings the fun back into detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread