"forbidden riffs" ? Why ? what's the Joke ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

straight Up ! Does anyone know what the Joke is ? :dontknow:

I tried to find out on Google.

All I found is

Why is Stairway to Heaven banned?

The main reason why Stairway to Heaven is 'banned' in many guitar stores is because of a movie released years ago. The reality is that the song isn't forbidden to play, it's just very overplayed by people trying out guitars. You're not going to get kicked out of any guitar stores if you begin playing this iconic song.

and

Smoke On The Water ? Deep Purple (when I first heard of the forbidden riff, I actually expected it to be this one!) Smells Like Teen Spirit ? Nirvana. Iron Man ? Black Sabbath. Sweet Home Alabama ? Lynyrd Skynyrd.

no straight up answer.

I tried youtube. again jokes like above, long winded show offs who bored me to death.
No I'm not a Guitar Player, So I Don't care about Guitars & Gizmos for Them. Just want an Answer :icon_scratch:

and Whats the Movie mentioned as the Reason ?

Please ? 8-)

Reality: If someone wants to Buy a Guitar to play Stairway to Heaven properly, No Guitar store is going to Sell one
to a pro,
If you Can't see if it sounds good playing it.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be that the store(clerk/owner) respects the original song and the fact that many would probably slaughter the song playing it.
Kind of like a Karaoke night where there's a few ok voices the most are more an embarrassment to the ear drums. :dontknow:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree, However This Forbidden thing is Supposedly all Guitar stores not just one.
so I'm Trying to figure out where this urban legend that no store will allow that riff started.
did the entire country get a memo ? :laughing9:

Also wondering on the So Called Movie.

Did a zombie pop up when it heard the riff ? :tongue3:

only Movie Clip that popped up was Wayne's World, But i doubt that was where it was started.
I'm no fan of Carvey or Wayne's World either, so I couldn't get through it,
But I'm guessing one of the 2 was just told of the legend in the movie when he tried to play the riff.

I'm hoping someone here already Knows the Beginning & Can fill me in
in Maybe a Simple 2 or 3 sentence Explanation :laughing9:

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s just a joke Jeff. In guitar shops it has always been the case that folks trying out the instruments (including those who had no intentional of buying) would trot out their “party piece”. Often Davy Graham’s “Anji” for acoustic fans, or Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water” for electric fans. Led Zep’s “Stairway to Heaven” (especially the intro) soon overtook them both as an iconic riff that was relatively easy to learn but sounded impressive. It was tiresome to hear it played over and over again, especially if you worked in a guitar store… and became a running joke among guitar geeks.

“Wayne’s World” didn’t invent the joke, but they did popularise it in 1992 with this scene, having a notice in the background and many guitar stores have since perpetuated it:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smoke on the Water & Wipeout were way Over Requested and Played here in
Dance halls and Night Clubs. guys Smoke on the Water, Young kids male & Female Wipeout

I still don't like listening to either

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same about “Sweet Home Alabama”… especially after having spent Halloween night in New Orleans during a Harley convention!

In case you don’t know the track, here’s Davy Graham’s “Anji” (various spellings) which was the party piece of choice for acoustic players before “Stairway to Heaven”, which works on both acoustic and electric:

and the Paul Simon cover:

and Bert Jansch’s cover (the best, in my opinion):

I think Steve Howe (of “Yes”) takes the biscuit for the best acoustic guitar party piece ever written, or performed, with “(The) Clap”:

He appears to have considerably more fingers than I do, as well as being able to move then rather faster. I would never have attempted to cover this in the days when I played the clubs.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I immediately Thought of The Mick Jagger's Angie from Goats Head Soup one of their best albums

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread