Forrest Fenn s treasure

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd stop in and say hello for 2018.

Keep in mind that some treasure hunters have figured out the first two clues, which are essentially:

1. Begin it where warm waters halt
  2. And take it in the canyon down.
Personally, I think Forrest is a straight shooter with the beginning two clues of his poem.

So, find a place where water either abruptly becomes cooler, or evaporates rapidly so that it is no longer water, … and then there needs to be a canyon adjacent to this.

How many places could there be in The Rockies that could make this happen? Well, some people were able to identify this, so it isn't impossibly impossible.

Unfortunately for them, they don't know that they were the ones who put this one-plus-one together.

But Forrest would want to have a straight-forward beginning to the Chase because even with it straight-forward, there are many, many starting point notions that can be dreamt-up with these beginning clues alone, so as to make it extremely difficult, nevertheless.

Some, somewhere out in The Rockies — either by careful logic, blind luck, proximity-familiarity (they just happen to live nearby), or sheer numbers of stabs at a beginning location — can make forward progress if they can just believe that one place (the correct place), above all others, stands out as the only starting point.

However, because of this inherent beginning difficulty, Forrest has pinned his hopes on the idea that whoever comes up with the correct beginning solution will have guessed it because they did a lot of thinking beforehand rather than hoping to win a lottery by buying a lot of tickets.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
It's out there, I think in Yellow Stone because one clue is "Home of Brown." Yellowstone is one of the first, if not the first places they planed German Brown Trout. A lot of people are skirting bears in Yellowstone trying to find it. One guy died there a while back looking. I'm going to pass on this one. I have to clip my toenails and take the trash out. Busy.

Remember that Fenn has also said that a person could take a bike into the location and ride out with it or throw the bike into waters high. There is an underground cistern at the stop.....

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place where warm waters halt could be Eagle nest lake, the water below the dam is colder. Trout (brown trout) live there because its colder, and the creek ends before Cimmron! Just dries up about where the boyscout land is. I have a Power Point addressing each of his hints and a location for each on that road. Been there twice once for a different treasure and then once for Fenns, and didn't find it.... I live near Cincinnati so I don't get out there. If you would like PM me and I will email it to you. I did post the PPT a few years ago on one of the Fenn threads.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said that where warm waters halt is not a dam.

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okaaaay,

Trying to get back up to speed after hibernating on the Chase for the winter. (I get the feeling everyone goes into hibernation on the Chase every winter.)

I just reviewed Cowlazars' vlogs, which can bring you up to speed without having to wade through a lot of reading.

Here is what I culled:

1. vlog#32 (Aug 30, 2017)
    • t = 1:34; discussion about where to begin
      • a good starting point after hibernating over a long winter
  2. vlog#33 (Aug 31, 2017)
    • t = 2:50; further discussion about where to begin, Forrest advice
  3. vlog#39 (Sep 10, 2017)
    • t = 1:30; possibility of two clues being one, too many canyons, Chaco Canyon(?)
  4. vlog#47 (Oct 6, 2017)
    • t = 5:50; this vlog followed the Las Vegas shooting and Cowlazars decided to get serious about the Chase again
    • FF the man & warm waters halt
      • good discussion
  5. vlog#56 (Jan 20, 2018)
    • t = 0;FF says "simplify"
  6. vlog#59 (Feb 11, 2018)
    • t = 4:00; James Frey discussion on why hasn't anyone found it
And there you have it.

Cowlazars is an "armchair" FF treasure hunter. He doesn't actually go out and look for it because he lives in Las Vegas. But he has a vlog and he provides thought provoking discussion, and he's worth checking out because you don't have to read stuff, you just have to listen to him. He also posts occasionally on this thread. (I think (from memory))

Next, I'll check out A Gypsy's Kiss. These two – their vlog – are really into it. And they go and search.

They're fun to listen to, too. Don't know if their stuff needs culling. They have a LOT of vlogs!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure is northof Santa Fe
Treasure is ineither New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming or Montana
Treasure is above5000' and below 10200' in elevation
Not in a cemetary orbuilding
Chest is locatedsomewhere an 80yo man could make two trips to in one afternoon
Not in the desert
Don’t have to moveheavy rocks or scale a precipice
Don’t search withsnow on the ground
Chest is NOTunderwater
Not near the RioGrande river
Not under a man madeobject
Not in a mine ortunnel
Not in Canada
Don’t need to breakanything to find the treasure chest
WWWH is not a Dam

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm making my first boots on the ground search this summer with my 17 yo daughter and dad going along with me. I have my main solve to search and also have a couple other possibilities to check out as well. Going to spend a week out searching. Ill be looking in the area in and surrounding Yellowstone (Cody, Thermopolis, Gardiner). Cant wait to get out there. Will be taking a garmin GPS with my routes I want to search loaded in it. Also looking forward to some warm river soaking in Yellowstone and at Thermopolis. I wont be hiking any farther than 1.5 miles from the car. Going to fly out and rent a car for the week.

Any advice for the area is appreciate as far as where to stay, good places to eat, best place for supplies and bear spray, anything else. Thanks!

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want to throw this out there but since it seems fenn didn't go scuba diving and or dig a hole under a river bottom to hide his treasure, I'm going to go ahead and say it. If you go to google earth to the firehole swimming area in Yellowstone, you will see the wooden walkway that leads to the edge of the river. Now let me back track a bit now. Upstream from there about 6 miles up the canyon is grand prismatic spring area, where many warm waters dump/halt at the firehole river. So from there take in 6 miles down in the canyon and you are at the swimming hole. Put in below the home of brown. This means put your feet in the waters edge near that wooden walkway (a few feet down stream would be safer to stand). Yes put in below the home of brown trout but how do we know that is the right spot to put your feet in below the HOB? The very next lines of the poem describes where you should be standing and putting in. From there (the rivers edge) it's no place for the Meek, your end will be drawing ever nigh (left). There will be no paddle up your creek, just heavy loads and water high. That describes if you continue to the left (upstream) in about 50 feet you will encounter the heavy loads of rocks, some wood and water high in the form of the Firehole cascades. As you can see by Google maps as you go up stream that 50 feet, you will notice the water gets deep and there is no more waters ledge to walk on. Now the if you've been wise and found the blaze. look quickly down your quest to cease. You have to be wise because the blaze is not visible at high river levels. There is a giant about 3 foot by 4 foot 'F' on the rock face that makes the river at it's narrowest, as it opens up into the swimming hole. You would have to look quickly down into the water because at this point to be under the blaze you would be treading water in a current. The top part of the letter F is right at the high water marks on the rocks and the bottom of the F in google maps is still slightly under water. It is white in color and due to it's size stands out like a sore thumb, even on google maps. You can only see the blaze if you are in google maps 3D, looking upstream from the swimming hole. That spot where the blaze is could be somewhat out of site from others swimming and out of sight from those on land/shore (roadside) and possibly Fenn had his first kiss there? Just a wild theory. could be somebody else put that F there or it could be a natural occurring thing.
I could go on about how other things fit this spot as well and maybe some things like the 200 and 500 foot thing but that's another story. Take those numbers with a huge grain of salt. 5 feet is within 200 feet and 12 feet is within 500 feet. There is only one thing in 'the poem' that is a little bit of a ? mark to me and that's brave and in the wood. Could be there are submerged logs at the bottom. I know fenn said he knows it's wet but also said it's not under water. If he dug a hole at the bottom of the river under that blaze put the chest in the hole, then filled the hole with rocks/dirt, in Fenns mind the treasure is under ground. The fact that the ground is under water is irrelevant. It would be a great place to hide it there even with such an obvious blaze. He could have made a hole deep enough that a underwater metal detector wouldn't find it, just like how he hid his bells he made. "why don't you ask me, how deep is a hole?" He may not have been much of a diver like his nephew Crayton Fenn but even at 80 I'm sure he could still swim. Also fenn said people got the 1st 2 clues right and went right passed the treasure. My guess would be their waters high was Firehole falls, which is a little further down stream and of course blowing way past it and going to the Madison junction and beyond. Well for one thing the Madison river is a whole different canyon

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has said that the chest is not underwater. Ive also read several accounts of searchers with that same solve who have checked that spot very thoroughly.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's in Yellowstone at all. Not even a tiny part of my thinks it's in Yellowstone. I feel very confident about my solve. I feel very confident that it's not in a location where the majority think it's at...because that would be too easy. Not clever enough solutions. My solve isn't complicated, but not over simplified, just clever enough to avoid detection by the masses. I don't think it has anything to do with brown trout, hot springs, nigh being/meaning left, etc. I only used The poem, Google, and a good map/Google earth before I even knew about Fenn saying that's all you need. When I learned about this treasure, I intentionally avoided reading ANY solutions/ interpretations by other people, or even additional hints by Fenn until I had time to sit down and analyze the poem myself. After i did that, I went and read other hints given by Fenn and they all matched the criteria of my spot. I will be going out west this summer, parking my car, and taking a short walks to the spot (hopefully). I know everybody says their spot is the spot, but after reading people's solves after I made mine, my brain hurt. People messing with the poem, having crazy interpretations, reaching extremely far, etc.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You put it so nicely. Me, I don't pull my punches. LOL Talk about OCD, they will never find it that way. I call it blinded by greed.

gisdata

Apr 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clues in The Codex?

It most certainly is not a hoax. There are so many artifacts in the west it's no wonder he was able to accumulate such an amazing collection. The clues are in Douglas Preston's the codex. He has a character based on Fenn that talks about a cave the character hides all sorts of things for his family to find after his death. Douglas Preston has to be a big clue to solving all of this because he wrote the forward to Fenn's most recent book. He also has written a book called Cities of Gold and one called Relic that I think are clues. You'd be surprised at what is left virtually undisturbed in the west if you step off the trails. But be careful. It isn't in a dangerous place. He wants someone to find it and he said it's in a beautiful place and the whole west is beautiful so it could be anywhere in the search area. If you read Osborne Russell's book he also talks about caves so maybe Forrest found one. Gosh, I can only imagine what kind of stuff is hidden there. The codex describes all sorts of amazing things stashed there. The weather should be nice soon. Can't wait to get back to searching.

Please explain how there could be clues in The Codex by Douglas Preston if it was published in 2003? Fenn didn't hide the treasure until around 2010.

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone fancied the notion that "where warm waters halt" may be where YOU are halted by warm water?

I hadn't considered that. I assumed that the verb "halt" was used passively (i.e., waters are halted) rather than actively (i.e., waters perform the action of halting something). Reading the phrase in active voice puts things in a very different light. Great catch.

Still, I'm inclined to think the treasure is in NW Colorado, in the Dinosaur National Monument area, below the Gates of Ladore where the Yampa River meets the Green River. This confluence is a short ways west of Warm Springs, and it is where Brown's Park ends; thus, on a map one can "begin where warm waters halt," then "follow the canyon down," and arrive just "below the home of Brown."

Coincidentally, there is a parking area nearby, allowing one to explore some extremely remote areas with ease, and perhaps carry a treasure chest into the wilderness without being seen. The entire region the DNM encompasses is renown for it's severe but breathtaking beauty and remoteness. It was home to many outlaws, some famous and some not-so, and likely houses many caches left by robbers and outlaws.

Last edited:

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't considered that. I assumed that the verb "halt" was used passively (i.e., waters are halted) rather than actively (i.e., waters perform the action of halting something). Reading the phrase in active voice puts things in a very different light. Great catch.

Still, I'm inclined to think the treasure is in NW Colorado, in the Dinosaur National Monument area, below the Gates of Ladore where the Yampa River meets the Green River. This confluence is a short ways west of Warm Springs, and it is where Brown's Park ends; thus, on a map one can "begin where warm waters halt," then "follow the canyon down," and arrive just "below the home of Brown."

Coincidentally, there is a parking area nearby, allowing one to explore some extremely remote areas with ease, and perhaps carry a treasure chest into the wilderness without being seen. The entire region the DNM encompasses is renown for it's severe but breathtaking beauty and remoteness. It was home to many outlaws, some famous and some not-so, and likely houses many caches left by robbers and outlaws.

Damn Good Solve! I think others have come up with this area of interest, too. That's a good thing since Forrest has admitted some have come close, solved the 1st, or 1st couple clues.

Also, there's that petroglyph site there, too. Any time petroglyphs are involved, LOOK OUT!

They're the kind of Blaze Forrest can appreciate. They've been around for thousands of years, and they'll be around for thousands of years yet to come.

USAuPzlBxBob

Jun 27, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One clue that many over-look is the clue that Forrest would still be willing to throw his bones atop the site, and let his corpse rot until someone, eons later, would stumble along and find nothing but his bones and the Treasure Chest.

This means that the location is AWESOME!!!!! :icon_thumright:

(And it also implies that the location is not exactly frequented, per se.)

MindyF

Jul 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guanaca, please contact me. Google me, and you’ll find me. :)

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Human nature is the key, people. Forrest Fenn is old now. Forrest Fenn was old when he hid the treasure. The only way for him to know if someone finds it or is getting close to it is to hide it somewhere within his range and domain. It's not going to be 300 miles away and a day's hike from a 5 star hotel. It's going to be in an area he can observe from his house, or pass near with relative ease. If he has a decent telescope I would bet that he can see the general area from his yard, and know if anyone is sniffing around that area. Remember, he already said that people have been near the treasure. It's highly unlikely that he is going on regular road trips to find this out, fun as that may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread