Fort Griffith

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go all out NO disc. and dig EVERYTHING!

HH, and show us what you find!

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
D

djduk00

Jun 7, 2005
Would love to ask everybody to go but I think this area may be badly overgrown. I am hoping not and am taking 2 detectors.
Oh and by the way I spelled this wrong after looking for info on the fort. I found out it is called Fort Griffin instead. I am itching to go since my hunts here have turned up very little the past weeks, like a smashed dime and a bent wheatie.

OP
OP
D

djduk00

Jun 7, 2005
Well crud, I wasn't allowed to hunt this site as I was told but I did try a near by ghost town called Necessity, Texas. I could not detect at all due to the undergrowth and grasses. How do you hunt paces like this? Me being from the desert I don't have a problem with open area sites.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Sorry to hear you did not get to hunt near the old Fort.
But as for the old town it sounds like you might have to Waite until Dec. when all the grass is gone ,just tell the owner how much you appreciate them letting you hunt the area and that you will be back.

Good luck there

Red

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djduk00 said:
I am lucky enough to get permission to detect an area near Fort Griffith in Texas in 2 weeks. I am only going to have a day or so to detect. The area I will be detecting is a shanty town near the fort so might turn up a few goodies. Any tips will be appreciated. Thx
Wow !!! I live in Ft Worth, and have been researching the Ft Griffin area for a while..I know the town itself is down below the Fort which is up on a plateau overlooking the original town. I agree with the other guy ..the grass will most likely be way overgrown..some maybe even over your head...waiting till the cooler weather may prove a better plan.? I'd love to go with you when you go ...I think it could be very productive since no one is allowed on the property....but since you have permission to do so, good luck.? and like they said ..DIG EVERYTHING !!!

rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!! I live in Ft Worth, and have been researching the Ft Griffin area for a while..I know the town itself is down below the Fort which is up on a plateau overlooking the original town.? I agree with the other guy ..the grass will most likely be way overgrown..some maybe even over your head...waiting till the cooler weather may prove a better plan.? I'd love to go with you when you go ...I think it could be very productive since no one is allowed on the property....but since you have permission to do so, good luck.? and like they said ..DIG EVERYTHING !!!
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess djduk00 got lost down at Ft Griffin...or maybe he got arrested, or maybe one of the ghosts got him !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread