Fossils ans One Point

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I've been hitting a few rivers and creeks the last few days, hoping to find a shark's tooth. No luck yet but I have come across a few interesting things. I found some really nice Lepidodendron fossils showing the bark, the roots and several leaves. I also found a boar's tusk, and a nice little triangle point. Oh, and there are some of those darned ol' mushroom thingys popping up.

Boar's Tusk

tusk.jpg

Triangle Point

pointa.jpg

pointb.jpg

pointc.jpg

Lepidodendron Root

Root1.jpg

Root2.jpg

Lepidodendron Bark

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

LCloseup.jpg

Lepidodendron Leaves

unk1.jpg

unk2.jpg

unk3.jpg

unk4.jpg

unk5.jpg

unk6.jpg

unk7.jpg

unk8.jpg

And the shrooms! They're pretty small yet but they're up.

morel1.jpg

morel2.jpg

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Nice job Tom! and thanks for making me hungry! I'm guessing that little triangle point was easier to haul out compared to the fosssils. You confirmed my suspicions on the shrooms - Nice point for sure!:happysmiley:

seabumm

Mar 22, 2012
Southern, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf II, Whites Beach 300,and Whites Surf PI.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had no Ide'r there were nice fossils tobe found In ""IOWA""

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headin out MD'ing here in Northern Iowa this afternoon. May hit my buddies creek. Keep forgetting about fossils and 'heads.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Back to your dino era spot I see Tom your going to pull t-rex out of there someday Lol super cool thanks for shareing .Ol shark tooth is in your future look in the "drift" the crawfish told me so.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Great eye spotting that triangle on a gravel bar!!!! I don't think I would have. I went out to one of my shroom spots this morning, but nothing yet, hope to find some camping this weekend though. Congrats on the all around successful hunt!

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
A shark's tooth is definitely in my future. It's just a matter of time and me getting in the right river. Trent, if I hadn't been down on my hands and knees looking for teeth, I doubt if I would have spotted that point either. It was a nice surprise after searching that grave3l bar for more than an hour. It's got to be between 2 to 3 acres in size. I don't usually like hunting bars that big for points because they just overwhelm me.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Wow Uncle Tom!

You can't have a much better day of hunting than that.

The boar's tusk is interesting. Maybe you should just tell people it's a canine tooth from a Saber Toothed Cat! :happysmiley:

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
That's some cool stuff Tom! Where do you find that kind of material, southern counties? Nice little triangle too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread