Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20211018_180405.jpg

Decided not to go digging today but just traditional mudlarking with a stick. Found this in the mud while the sun was setting.

20211018_203200.jpg

It is 11 inches tall with an applied blob top. The bottom is not pontil-scared so it likely dates from the later half of the 19th century. I thought it was a regular bottle at first but it clearly once had a handle (hand-applied) so that would make it a jug.

Polish_20211018_204814746.jpg

Here is a crude artistic rendering of what it may have once looked like fully infact. I couldn't find any examples of any similar late 19th century glass jugs to factually compare this depiction to, so it is entirely based on the size and angles of the fracture points coupled with my vague knowledge of what a jug should look like.

20211018_210221.jpg

Also found this massive embossed apothecary bottle from a chap named Paul Ptretzell. He operated the Voss Drug Store in Bayside L.I. This was probably around 100 years ago. It is a tooled-top bottle.

I found a whole bunch more stuff but these two were the best items, I still haven't taken the other things in yet. I found an absolutely MASSIVE ceramic electrical insulator with glazed black writting all over it including the manufacture date (I think it was 1932). I used my trusty Vietnam war-era surplus duffle bag to carry all this stull over a mile through mud. I left after dark so was guided only by the moonlight, which actually pretty bright as it was nearly full, it was fun. Will upload more pics tomorrow probably if I get a chance.

Upvote 20

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1986024
Decided not to go digging today but just traditional mudlarking with a stick. Found this in the mud while the sun was setting.

View attachment 1986025
It is 11 inches tall with an applied blob top. The bottom is not pontil-scared so it likely dates from the later half of the 19th century. I thought it was a regular bottle at first but it clearly once had a handle (hand-applied) so that would make it a jug.

View attachment 1986026
Here is a crude artistic rendering of what it may have once looked like fully infact. I couldn't find any examples of any similar late 19th century glass jugs to factually compare this depiction to, so it is entirely based on the size and angles of the fracture points coupled with my vague knowledge of what a jug should look like.

View attachment 1986030
Also found this massive embossed apothecary bottle from a chap named Paul Ptretzell. He operated the Voss Drug Store in Bayside L.I. This was probably around 100 years ago. It is a tooled-top bottle.

I found a whole bunch more stuff but these two were the best items, I still haven't taken the other things in yet. I found an absolutely MASSIVE ceramic electrical insulator with glazed black writting all over it including the manufacture date (I think it was 1932). I used my trusty Vietnam war-era surplus duffle bag to carry all this stull over a mile through mud. I left after dark so was guided only by the moonlight, which actually pretty bright as it was nearly full, it was fun. Will upload more pics tomorrow probably if I get a chance.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1986026

Good bottles!

This one was said to be "for wine or whiskey", but with nothing to support that opinion and no view on its age:

Jug1.jpg Jug2.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your guess on what it looked like is spot on, and very likely that it contained whiskey. Similar embossed handled pear shaped whiskeys would be the R.B. Cutter, George Noar, or The Campus.

I like that Long Island drugstore bottle.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1986024

View attachment 1986025

View attachment 1986026

View attachment 1986030

It’s a beautiful recovery Congratulations

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! I don't see how everyone gets those out of the ground without breaking them. That is an art in itself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread