Found a BUNCH yesterday and today ..

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A bunch of graves that is. I started on Phase 3 of my cemetery restoration project. Just wanted to share what it looks like in the early stages of Phase 3.
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.34.14 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.34.33 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.34.47 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.35.12 PM.jpg

Upvote 24
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
May I ask why the different colors?
Red marks concrete vaults, yellow marks the older metal clad vaults, orange marks wooden caskets with no vaults, blue marks the graves where the contents have decayed away leaving only a void, white marks the ones whose identity is known (even though I have them temporally marked unknown because I ran out of stakes)

Last edited:
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you find the unmarked graves?
I use a spring steel probe and a Ground Pounder, which is really a device used for driving in ground rods that I converted. It has a 19 pound weight, and when you thump on a grave you can actually feel the vibrations trough your feet.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground is soft that probe works really well. I have a big tee handle on mine. Nice work in helping them on the relocation.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you using Ground Penetrating Radar?
Not yet . That will be the next phase on a 3.5 acre section where all the stones were intentionally destroyed by a fool on a dozer years ago. Probably start that in the spring should I live so long.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If the ground is soft that probe works really well. I have a big tee handle on mine. Nice work in helping them on the relocation.
Yup .. mine has a tubular tee handle on it as well. Even if the ground is hard, once you break through the top layer, things go pretty well, so long as you don't bend the probe in the process. For the real hard areas, I use a probe with ½" diameter solid steel construction with a sharpened tip. My spring probe is only 3/8."

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup .. mine has a tubular tee handle on it as well. Even if the ground is hard, once you break through the top layer, things go pretty well, so long as you don't bend the probe in the process. For the real hard areas, I use a probe with ½" diameter solid steel construction with a sharpened tip. My spring probe is only 3/8."
Well done on the previous and this project going forward.
How many folks are involved in the restoration project?

We had probes (for bottle digging) that were constructed from old tent rods.
Spring steel that were welded to a pipe/tube handle.
The steel handle absorbed too much of the hit if in rocky areas, where I'm thinking a wood handle now to absorb some of the vibration.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done on the previous and this project going forward.
How many folks are involved in the restoration project?

We had probes (for bottle digging) that were constructed from old tent rods.
Spring steel that were welded to a pipe/tube handle.
The steel handle absorbed too much of the hit if in rocky areas, where I'm thinking a wood handle now to absorb some of the vibration.
Thank you. I have one person helping with the research, but I am the only one working in the cemetery.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JYI... and IMO... from probing many a soil...
A tapering pointed tip slightly larger than rod works with a speed and finesse that is unmatched.

I have used a multitude of probes... and the larger diameter pointed tip spreads hole and smaller shaft offers very little to no resistance.

Will post example of what IMO is the best probe made.

Last edited:

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is generic stainless one... still looking for the one i recommend.

Notice the tip being larger... but not as pointed as i like,,, this is a WORLD of difference.

View attachment 2050492
I've been on the top side of those for many hrs in the past life. Did a few years with a rural water company. Actually funniest job I've ever had.

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
JYI... and IMO... from probing many a soil...
A tapering pointed tip slightly larger than rod works with a speed and finesse that is unmatched.

I have used a multitude of probes... and the larger diameter pointed tip spreads hole and smaller shaft offers very little to no resistance.

Will post example of what IMO is the best probe made.
Yup .. I have spent many years with probes. First started back in the early 1970's. I, too, have used a plethora of different probes, some I made, some I had made, and some I bought. The one I used on Civil War sights actually had a pseudo-stethoscope that could be attached to the tube. It was amazing what you could hear!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup .. I have spent many years with probes. First started back in the early 1970's. I, too, have used a plethora of different probes, some I made, some I had made, and some I bought. The one I used on Civil War sights actually had a pseudo-stethoscope that could be attached to the tube. It was amazing what you could hear!
Voices ? ? ?

:/

Arrrr rrrr rrrrrrrrrr ug

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I have in size as well. Mine has a wooden handle 3/8 brass tip 1/4 rod. They work well on finding many things including privy holes and such. Nice work you are doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread