๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Found a cache of chinese coins

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new location that some fellow detectorist told me about. I met a few of them there. And right away i started finding chinese coins. Then I found my first silver jewelry. So I switched to 4khz to hunt for deep silver but there was too much EMI so I switched to 10khz. After that I dug a few more coins. Then I got a faint signal and started digging deeper and deeper. About a foot down I hit some coins. And some were still stuck together. I kept pulling coin after coin. A Total of 130 coins came out of that hole. The coins that I have identified so far are from the Ming Dynasty 1674.

Attachments

• IMAG7546.jpg
    IMAG7546.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,069
  • IMAG7540.jpg
    IMAG7540.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 596,897
  • IMAG7534.jpg
    IMAG7534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 713
  • IMAG7523.jpg
    IMAG7523.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 754
Upvote 107

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how old the string is, move a coin enough and you see where it had been. String probably old, as many years as Chinese fibers can last.

Attachments

• chinese-coin-close.jpg
    chinese-coin-close.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 66

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new location that some fellow detectorist told me about. I met a few of them there. And right away i started finding chinese coins. Then I found my first silver jewelry. So I switched to 4khz to hunt for deep silver but there was too much EMI so I switched to 10khz. After that I dug a few more coins. Then I got a faint signal and started digging deeper and deeper. About a foot down I hit some coins. And some were still stuck together. I kept pulling coin after coin. A Total of 130 coins came out of that hole. The coins that I have identified so far are from the Ming Dynasty 1674.

Thatโ€˜s how ya do it.. ๐Ÿ‘

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how old the string is, move a coin enough and you see where it had been. String probably old, as many years as Chinese fibers can last.
The coins are really stuck together. I guess 300 plus years in the ground will do that to them. :)No string that I can see but I know what you are talking about. They were in a clump when I dug them so I think the were buried in a some sort of bag. I have found small clumps of coins before. But not this many in a single spot and not this deep.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our country during gold rush era, western miners would carry gold coins in bags called pokes.

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our country during gold rush era, western miners would carry gold coins in bags called pokes.
Interesting never heard that term. I use to live in Idaho. Was there for 10 years and visited several mining ghost towns. Idaho is where I caught gold fever. Taiwan had a big gold rush after the gold rush ended in the US. Gold panning and sluicing is another one of my favorite hobbies here.

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new location that some fellow detectorist told me about. I met a few of them there. And right away i started finding chinese coins. Then I found my first silver jewelry. So I switched to 4khz to hunt for deep silver but there was too much EMI so I switched to 10khz. After that I dug a few more coins. Then I got a faint signal and started digging deeper and deeper. About a foot down I hit some coins. And some were still stuck together. I kept pulling coin after coin. A Total of 130 coins came out of that hole. The coins that I have identified so far are from the Ming Dynasty 1674
Mabee this coins our from China Imagrants workin on the transilcottonettal railroad? mabee they feeled like some 1 was gonna steel them coins from them or thare lifes were in danjer and hid them in a sacred spot oh the storys theese coins cud tell!!!

craigsmith

Aug 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state was this in?

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mabee this coins our from China Imagrants workin on the transilcottonettal railroad? mabee they feeled like some 1 was gonna steel them coins from them or thare lifes were in danjer and hid them in a sacred spot oh the storys theese coins cud tell!!!
This area probably would have been mostly rice fields back then. On a 1898 map it was just a tiny village. And these coins are from 1674. Imagine what life would have been like back then.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting never heard that term. I use to live in Idaho. Was there for 10 years and visited several mining ghost towns. Idaho is where I caught gold fever. Taiwan had a big gold rush after the gold rush ended in the US. Gold panning and sluicing is another one of my favorite hobbies here.

Chinese came in to rework our gravels during the gold rush. Some Chinese went back to China richer than before or maybe the gold shipped to China (don't really know for sure). They did make raw gold caches around areas of mining.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "leather poke money bag" see them online everywhere, similar looking to Native American pouch. Can be round, flat, or Indian style.

Attachments

• leather-poke.jpg
    leather-poke.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to your future coin finds. It's rare on this website forum to have a treasure hunter in an area that can find Chinese Dynasty coins that could date to Ming or even MUCH earlier. If you do find early Chinese Dynasty coins I hope they can be displayed as a banner. It would be like finding early Roman coins in Europe. Good luck in your search. (thumbs up)

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "leather poke money bag" see them online everywhere, similar looking to Native American pouch. Can be round, flat, or Indian style.
No different from a Medieval Purse in the UK.

Interesting, never heard them called a medieval purse before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread