🥇 BANNER Found a cache of chinese coins

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new location that some fellow detectorist told me about. I met a few of them there. And right away i started finding chinese coins. Then I found my first silver jewelry. So I switched to 4khz to hunt for deep silver but there was too much EMI so I switched to 10khz. After that I dug a few more coins. Then I got a faint signal and started digging deeper and deeper. About a foot down I hit some coins. And some were still stuck together. I kept pulling coin after coin. A Total of 130 coins came out of that hole. The coins that I have identified so far are from the Ming Dynasty 1674.

Attachments

• IMAG7546.jpg
    IMAG7546.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,069
  • IMAG7540.jpg
    IMAG7540.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 596,897
  • IMAG7534.jpg
    IMAG7534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 713
  • IMAG7523.jpg
    IMAG7523.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 754
Upvote 107

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think this is a banner find. Again well done and thanks for sharing !!!

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think this is a banner find. Again well done and thanks for sharing !!!
Thanks Gare, much appreciated

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on the banner.

Just curious how long it took you to dig all these up.
Less than an hour? Two?

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Great find. Bet that makes the heart go pitty-patter! If the coins are in good shape is there any value to them. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Bet that makes the heart go pitty-patter! If the coins are in good shape is there any value to them. Good luck.
Thanks uglymailman, Its was petty cool to find these and I had a few guys from my detecting group with me. It was a hunt to remember. The coins are not in the greatest shape but still able to identify some of them. Probably not much value but I still need to clean more. Maybe there is a rare one in that bunch.

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on the banner.

Just curious how long it took you to dig all these up.
Less than an hour? Two?
Thanks, PetesPockets55. It didnt take long(probably 20 mins) to dig out the 130 coins. A lot of them were stuck together and they were all together in a clump. I did detect for about 2 hours before I found this cache.
old coins.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, PetesPockets55. It didnt take long(probably 20 mins) to dig out the 130 coins. A lot of them were stuck together and they were all together in a clump. I did detect for about 2 hours before I found this cache. View attachment 2038274
Striker, Thanks for the reply.
I've used hydrogen peroxide to clean dirt off coins before but it will also remove nice patina as well.
I found out about losing the patina the hard way with a Maravedi! ):

T L Kott

Sep 20, 2021
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Considering my options at this time...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new location that some fellow detectorist told me about. I met a few of them there. And right away i started finding chinese coins. Then I found my first silver jewelry. So I switched to 4khz to hunt for deep silver but there was too much EMI so I switched to 10khz. After that I dug a few more coins. Then I got a faint signal and started digging deeper and deeper. About a foot down I hit some coins. And some were still stuck together. I kept pulling coin after coin. A Total of 130 coins came out of that hole. The coins that I have identified so far are from the Ming Dynasty 1674.
WoW!!

Midwest4

Sep 26, 2018
USA
Detector(s) used
intuition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! Congrads. GPS coordinates? 😬

Midwest4

Sep 26, 2018
USA
Detector(s) used
intuition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. 130 coins from the 1600’s in a cache and no one has thrown the B word around yet? Walk tall with that find friend! I’ll throw a banner vote in for that.
What's the 'B' word?
That is an incredible find, the stuff most of us dream of... congratulations and thanks for sharing on this forum for the rest of us to enjoy 💰💰💰🪙

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
WHAT?

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the 'B' word?

That is an incredible find, the stuff most of us dream of... congratulations and thanks for sharing on this forum for the rest of us to enjoy 💰💰💰🪙
Thanks so much

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sorgboston

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2022
Very awesome and inspiring!!

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location? City & State? Just interested in History location of find.

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
The Chinese symbolism of the coin shape, the round is the heaven and the square is the earth.....Joe McDonough

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location? City & State? Just interested in History location of find.
It was in Taiwan. As for North America, the oldest Chinese coins dug up so far (recorded on this site) appear to be from the Qing Dynasty. They did find a ming dynasty coin in an area around Alaska/Yukon but it's believed to have been there from a much later date than the Ming dynasty. I posted about this in 2021.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread