Found a class ring by "alternative methods"

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I found this class ring by "alternative" methods.

Metal detector was at home, but that does not ever stop the detecting urge. I was at work, taking the dogs out back for a break (I am self employed so I have the luxury of taking my 2 jack russels to work with me every day).

I just happened to look in the dumpster and noticed that a point of sale cash drawer had been thrown away by a neighbor business that sets up restaurants and retail establishments with their computers and cash registers. So, thinking, what the heck, I hefted it out and looked inside. Nothing. So I pulled the drawer completely out (sometimes a US $ bill will get caught back in there) and looked inside. No cash. So I shook it and heard a rattle of coins and a thunk sound. I reached in and pulled out a few pennies, a St. Michael medallion (pot metal) and a ring! My guess is that the ring was found at a local restaurant, placed in the drawer, forgotten about, and somehow ended up behind the drawer or lodged in the workings.

I rounded up the dogs and headed back inside for a closer look. It is a 10K gold class of 1966 high school ring. There are the initials R L engraved inside. After a Google search I was able to determine that the name on the emblem is Eddystone H S from Eddystone PA. Eddystone High School no longer exists but I was able to find a yearbook from 1965 on Classmates.com. The junior class has a photo with young men named R. Love and a E. Love listed. Nowhere does it list the first names.

I would like to return this ring to its rightful owner or his family, so I am starting here and will probably also list this ring on Facebook in an attempt to locate Mr R. Love.

I am not 100% sure about what else I can do. Any experienced Ring returners feel free to educate me.

Found Eddystone PA 1966 HS ring 1.jpg Found Eddystone PA 1966 HS ring 2.jpg Found Eddystone PA 1966 HS ring 3.jpg

Upvote 31

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck. Hope you find the owner, it looks like it was worn for many years.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice writeup! Congratz on a great find. Good luck on the return.

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck on your journey of good will. no telling what you will find next. good karma seems to smile on metal detectors.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable mention God you did some poking around

Tinker1975

Jul 17, 2018
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little searching and found a Robert Love that used to live in Eddystone PA and is 71 years old. Seems pretty close to who you are looking for. Screenshot_2018-12-07-07-26-24.png
Tried to attach info here. If it doesnt go through, I will try another way

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little searching and found a Robert Love that used to live in Eddystone PA and is 71 years old. Seems pretty close to who you are looking for. View attachment 1658312
Tried to attach info here. If it doesnt go through, I will try another way

If my Cipherin' is right ....The Year Would Be correct.
he Would have been 18 in '65

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. I sure hope you can reunite the ring and owner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fine ring recovery! Good Luck on the return search! :occasion14:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Good Juju headed your way for just trying. At least it should give you a positive mark in Santa's "Good Boy/Bad Boy" list. Hope it works out. Good luck.

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery. Hope you find the rightful owner.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ring, strange way to hunt....good luck with the return!!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool looking ring. Good find and good luck with the return.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the other posts, it looks like you are well on your way to returning the ring. I had a neighbor back in the 70's who's name was Robert Love. That was here in Illinois, and I did not know his history as to where he and his family came from. I was just a youngster, and his two children were in the same school as I was. He would also have been in his early 70's now, but passed away a number of years ago. What a coincidence with your ring. Good luck on the return.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you can make the return and that the owner is alive and well. He would be around 70 years old now. Class rings dated in the late 60's tend to make me think the owners could have met their doom in Vietnam, but the wear on this ring suggests that it was probably worn for many years.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great recovery! Wonderful Karma headed your way, I hope you loce the owner.
HH
dts

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go! Hope you find him well and can make the return. Great story and good luck!

OP
OP
Engineer in MD

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly have found the owner. Contacted son and he gave me his dad's phone number. Stay tuned....

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the "chase" in finding the owner or family can be quite rewarding in itself. But there is nothing quite like the huge smile on the face when something long lost is returned. This guy will have a flood of memories that you were able to bring back. great story and awesome return (I know that it is in process but you have found his family and that is most of the battle.) Congrats and Honorable Mention too. My wife and I have located two family members of some WWII dog tags that we have found but they won't open their mail, probably think we are scammers. hopefully we can get through to some other family members

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Excellent story !
Good looking ring .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread