Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good luck with your deal :) hope all goes well for you

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was indeed just like brand new, even had the box. Came with everything a new one would.
Now I just need some thawed ground.

Attachments

• 20220127_162610[4553].jpg
    20220127_162610[4553].jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a video on how to update the software on the Apex.
Does anyone know how to tell if one has already been updated?

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I got back from Garrett:

If you watch the VDI numbers in the middle of the screen as you power the Apex on, it will flash the update rev for a moment. It will be something like “2.6”, “2.7”, “2.8”. If it is 2.8, then it already has the latest update installed. If it is anything else, then you would need to download and run the Apex updater available on our website. Also, the updater should automatically check if it is needed before actually running if you go to run it on an Apex.

Please note the date of this posting. If your reading five years from now the newest revision # might be different...

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As it turns out, mine was one revision from the latest. There is a short video at the Garrett site that instructs you on how to do it. It is very straight forward just took a few minutes.
You use the same cable you charge with.

I kind of like the idea they can fix little bugs, or just improve operation by posting a download now and again. As long as it's not mandatory or happens too often...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you haven,t already read down the page for John of Edmonton,s posts on the Apex.He really likes his.

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to give a slight update. Weather has not been my friend hunting, but that said I have been out to a couple places. So far they have all been places I have hunted before.
Last weekend I went to my first small seeded hunt.

I have read some complaints about false signals and being unstable. I have seen none of that.
One of the places I went was an old Church site that is littered with iron/rust.

I hunted a yard at another old Church I have hit often. The ground there is full of old nails and building scrap from decades past. I found a 25 year old dime deep in that miss. It was black, had been there a long time, I know I must have missed it many times. So far just clad, but that is what I expect at the locations I have been able to get to at present. It handles this ground better than any detector I have had on it.

I'm still learning target ID's, I find the manual ground balance handy. It may have helped me at the old Church yard.
I also like being able to turn the volume for iron down separate from the other tones. I could see when running in a "clean" area, hunting more in all metal mode. I normally use "iron audio" to just check a target, but with the volume on iron turned way down, I found myself just leaving it on more. I have not yet found a reason to take it out of Multi Freq mode. I did change the channel a bit to avoid interference with my pointer.
I'm loving the cordless headphones, they have given me zero trouble.

I have a couple virgin permissions lined up this year. I am excited to see what the Apex will pull out.
So far it's the best machine I have used in "noisy" ground.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if YOU like it,that,s all that matters.Sounds like you,re getting the hang of it so more power to ya,keep on keeping on!

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like my 400 but when $ frees up I will see about changing it out for another myself
Good Luck Hunting

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like my 400 but when $ frees up I will see about changing it out for another myself
Good Luck Hunting
I really like my 400 too. It's not going anywhere. I plan to get one of those large after market coils for open field use.
My friend plans to use it while hunting with me this year.

My youngest brother moved to Florida. We plan to visit him on vacation this year. The idea of hunting a beach while there was the big reason I wanted to try the Apex. It is suppose to do really well in wet beach sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions