Found a Gold Half Escudo - 1747 Ferdinand

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an Escudo last night in a new colonial spot.

I posted the below in a later post in this thread but think it might of got missed. This thread was a quick post that, in hindsight, should of got a little more info than "I found an Escudo last night in a new colonial spot.". It's a once in a lifetime find. I was hunting with a friend that's new to detecting and was frustrated the night I found this. I was trying to not be excited in an attempt to be a good friend and not "rub salt", so to speak. This find ranks, for me, up there with the Ferdinand half reale I found earlier this year. Here's my post from below:

Thank you, all!

This was a spot that I did the research on over winter. I was having a good spring so I kept it in my "pocket", explored it in July and the burn hazel was too thick so I've been waiting to get back. This place dates back to the beginning of the county. I found a Fredinand VI half reale close to this spot - the reale was 1759 so these are all in the same timeframe.

It hit really low. I might not of dug it had there not been some trash that hit higher in the same hole. I'm going to check it again tonight, I think it was hitting 12.11 on the CTX.

I have so much video I'm working on, this might not be out for a while. If you want to see the Ferdinand Half reale it's on our first vid - you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XFNHEvnJm4oeTSG-j0ZIQ

Thanks again!

I really appreciate all the kind words! I hope you all have good luck hunting!

Joe (MetalDriggrz - at least one of them)

Attachments

• 20211015_083241.jpg
    20211015_083241.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 20211015_083209.jpg
    20211015_083209.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20211014_203535.jpg
    20211014_203535.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Upvote 38

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
More like this: (Spain)

It's a 1/2 escudo; totally different design on the one escudo.
  • Bare Bust ( Type I )
  • Diameter: 15,00 mm
  • Weight: 1,76 gr
  • 90.6% Gold
The image in my previous post is a Type II (has to do with the hair).

Don......

Last edited:
OP
OP
metaldiggr

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, all!

This was a spot that I did the research on over winter. I was having a good spring so I kept it in my "pocket", explored it in July and the burn hazel was too thick so I've been waiting to get back. This place dates back to the beginning of the county. I found a Fredinand VI half reale close to this spot - the reale was 1759 so these are all in the same timeframe.

It hit really low. I might not of dug it had there not been some trash that hit higher in the same hole. I'm going to check it again tonight, I think it was hitting 12.11 on the CTX.

I have so much video I'm working on, this might not be out for a while. If you want to see the Ferdinand Half reale it's on our first vid - you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XFNHEvnJm4oeTSG-j0ZIQ

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, all!

Thanks again!
Thats some banner stuff there....wooo hoooo !! Hope to see it at the top next to the American gold !! Congratulations, well done !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread