Found a Letterbox (Geocache) from 2003 in the Roots of a Fallen Tree!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has to be one of my stranger finds. I was walking in the woods and spotted a huge tree that had fallen over. I always check out the roots of fallen trees, as well as the ground underneath it. Never found much doing that, but you never know. And as usual, there was nothing to be found detecting in the roots. But I did spot a small plastic container in the dirt at the base of the tree. Figured it might be a geocache and I was sort of correct.

Turns out, it was actually a letterbox. Letterboxes are similar to geocashes, but they give clues to help you find it, instead of GPS coordinates. They also use rubberstamps to mark the journal and no trinkets are left in the box. This one is from 2003, with no additions to the journal since then. I usually don't take geocaches home, but this one was soaking wet inside and untouched for 15 years!

I cleaned it up a little and will attempt to dry off the journal, but I don't know if I'll put it back or not. Seems pointless if no one's found it after all those years. We'll see.

DSC09340.JPG DSC09341.JPG DSC09347.JPG DSC09343.JPG DSC09344.JPG

Upvote 13

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. I have found 2 geocashes while detecting. I look inside but leave them for others to enjoy.
I too check tree roots. So far only bullets and an old buckle. Id say its safe to keep it as it has been abandoned for so long..

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few geocashes, but they're usually sealed better and watertight. I sign their journal and put it back. This journal was in a zip-lock bag, but the last person who found it didn't zip it closed correctly. I'll try to save it, but it's pretty fragile.

Funny how there were dozens of entries in 2003, but then nothing at all. Very odd...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have found 3 Geo Caches over the years. I just put one of my Treasure Hunting Business cards in it, and move on. They are neat to look thru though. All 3 were found under or in fallen trees.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have found 3 Geo Caches over the years. I just put one of my Treasure Hunting Business cards in it, and move on.

That's a great idea! Good way to spread the word. I usually mention my YouTube channel when I sign their journal and tell them I found the cache while metal detecting.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of my finds are by trees rings and coins ive found at least 10 geo cashes a cat grave and a turtle coffin yuck the cat tag rang up on vdi as a quarter lol well done

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find...I ran across one at an old foundation I was detecting in the woods. I didn't have anything to write with so I just tucked it behind the rock I found it by. Ddf.

Lunchboxx

Aug 21, 2018
Susanville
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur II
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are letter boxers. I am sure that the owner of that box miht appreciate having it back so they can replant somewhere else! What state did you fin it in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread