Found a new coin

matthew45663

Jan 31, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the bank today and found this in a roll of nickels. I used to collect coins with my grandpa when I was a kid. We used to spend hours going thru them. I thought it might be a good hobby to do again. I found this coin in 10 rolls of nickels I purchased at the bank. I am finding it hard to get exact info on it. So, I am hoping somebody here might be able to help me. It a 1939 nickel

Attachments

• 20200131_194532.jpg
    20200131_194532.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200131_194518.jpg
    20200131_194518.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 9

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

Not exactly sure what you are asking for but, maybe I'll get close.

You have yourself a Jefferson Nickel in which they made 120, 615, 000 pieces. In that condition it looks to be worth around .40 or .50 cents. Now, if you had the doubled Monticello and Five Cents on the Reverse, it would be worth somewhere between $100.00 and $135.00.

It doesn't sound like you have a coin book - you should have one. It will save you a bunch of headaches. You can get them online or at Hobby Lobby and many other stores. I use THE OFFICIAL RED BOOK - Jeff Garrett is the senior editor.

Hope this helps put you in the right direction.
DH

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type: Jefferson Nickel
Year: 1939
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.05 USD
Total Produced: 120,615,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: 50 cents to $880.00
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in average condition will be valued at somewhere around 50 cents, while one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $880 at auction.

Additional Info: Look for the doubled Monticello for the P 1939 Jefferson nickel. They sell for anywhere between $80 and 800 dollars each.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. I hang on to all pre-1960 nickels.
I've always been curious about the circular indentation we see on some old coins like this. The few examples I have with it are dimes, and I believe they are all older.
A few folks claim they are from some type of early coin-counting machine. I don't know this to NOT be true, but I have never been able to find supporting evidence for it... like, a picture of the actual machine. Any experts here know anything?
(I don't mean to hijack this thread. Just saw the indent and it got me thinking about this curious phenomenon.)

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I hang on to all pre-1960 nickels.
I've always been curious about the circular indentation we see on some old coins like this. The few examples I have with it are dimes, and I believe they are all older.
A few folks claim they are from some type of early coin-counting machine. I don't know this to NOT be true, but I have never been able to find supporting evidence for it... like, a picture of the actual machine. Any experts here know anything?
(I don't mean to hijack this thread. Just saw the indent and it got me thinking about this curious phenomenon.)

I've always kept all pre-1960 nickels too for some reason. I have many many many rolls of them. I also have lots with those weird circular marks as well. Have no clue what caused them

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start I agree get a coin book to know what to look for and what you have. Collecting is alot of fun and nickles I seem to find the most of older ones I mean Good to ask and learn and get advice. Good luck hope to see more finds from you. Tommy

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! If I find a coin and want to know the value, I just google it. I did with your nickel and got the same info you got here.
I am pretty old, so computers are somewhat a mystery to me. I have asked questions before not realizing that I have all the answers right at my fingertips!

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have about 150 Canadian centennial 1967 pennies I collected 50 years ago. Guessing they’re worth $1.50 Canadian today. Great investment for my future great great great grandkids. Maybe.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to what the others have said about getting a coin book, you can often find last years Red book on sale. The only difference in last years and this years issues are values and they don't change that much. I still use the 2013 large print edition. I recently saw a 2018 large print edition at Books-a -million for about $8.00

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always kept all pre-1960 nickels too for some reason. I have many many many rolls of them. I also have lots with those weird circular marks as well. Have no clue what caused them

Any number of machines can cause the damage......most likely it's the one that seals the coins in a paper roll.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Except no one was rolling coins back when the coins I have with the indent were in use.
So, any number of machines... like...?
No need for any jukeboxes, vending machines, entertainment devices, etc., to make an indent in a coin. Not trying to argue... it just doesn't make any sense to me. What kind of machine would do it, and what would be the reason the machine was so rough on a coin?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1939 P nickel in change recently and I returned it into circulation for other coin spotters (hopefully a younf kid) to find.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except no one was rolling coins back when the coins I have with the indent were in use.
No need for any jukeboxes, vending machines, entertainment devices, etc., to make an indent in a coin. Not trying to argue... it just doesn't make any sense to me. What kind of machine would do it, and what would be the reason the machine was so rough on a coin?

Machines that seal a paper coin roll have been used for decades. Other machines (vending, arcade, gambling, meters, etc.) that have a coin mechanism can also damage a coin. Those date back to at least the early 1900's if not the 1800's.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin roll find. It is exactly what everyone else has said. No silver content, and not valuable, but a neat old coin. I always keep Nickels from 1950 and earlier in my coin tubes. They are just fun to find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. Perhaps, purchase a "redbook" coin value guide and read online information on coin collecting. Good Luck on your hunts! :icon_thumleft:

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not trying to be an a$$ here but, did you miss this? "Went to the bank today and found this in a roll of nickels."

Just because it is a 1939 coin doesn't necessarily mean that it was dropped in 1939.

Just sayin'.
-DH-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread