Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites XLT
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1871.2.2.JPG

I was detecting my favorite ghost town last spring when I made an interesting recovery. Over the years I've pulled over 75 coins from what is now a corn field. Mostly Indian Head Penney's but 6 seated dimes and 3 U.S two cent coins have also come from here. This time I pulled up an 1871 Indian. I could tell right away that the coin was in beautiful condition even if it was dirty and had a dark color. I placed the coin in my pocket away from other coins. I gently cleaned it with a soft toothbrush. I had no idea at the time that 1871 was a low mintage year. I took the coin to a local coin show and was offered a couple hundred dollars for it, but I didn't want to sell it. ANACS grading service was there, so I had it graded. Over 150 years in the dirt and it still graded AU 50. Not the most valuable coin ever found or the rarest, but it really is one of the nicest that I have found.
1871.2.JPG
1871.4.jpg
1871.3.jpg
1871.2.2.JPG

Attachments

• 1871.1.JPG
    1871.1.JPG
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 45

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great looking indian!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT looking COIN !!!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2044774

I was detecting my favorite ghost town last spring when I made an interesting recovery. Over the years I've pulled over 75 coins from what is now a corn field. Mostly Indian Head Penney's but 6 seated dimes and 3 U.S two cent coins have also come from here. This time I pulled up an 1871 Indian. I could tell right away that the coin was in beautiful condition even if it was dirty and had a dark color. I placed the coin in my pocket away from other coins. I gently cleaned it with a soft toothbrush. I had no idea at the time that 1871 was a low mintage year. I took the coin to a local coin show and was offered a couple hundred dollars for it, but I didn't want to sell it. ANACS grading service was there, so I had it graded. Over 150 years in the dirt and it still graded AU 50. Not the most valuable coin ever found or the rarest, but it really is one of the nicest that I have found.
View attachment 2044780 View attachment 2044776 View attachment 2044777 View attachment 2044774
Awesome coin, great find.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that find!
Did you clean it in a way that the green patina was removed? Or is that just the lighting of the dirt-free pictures?
(It's your coin and you can do with it what you will, but I LOVE when Indian Head Cents have that green patina.)
- Brian

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful IH.
Top shelf find, they come out better than that.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2044774

View attachment 2044780 View attachment 2044776 View attachment 2044777 View attachment 2044774
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Ekim14

Ekim14

Oct 21, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites XLT
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that find!
Did you clean it in a way that the green patina was removed? Or is that just the lighting of the dirt-free pictures?
(It's your coin and you can do with it what you will, but I LOVE when Indian Head Cents have that green patina.)
- Brian
I could not save the green patina. I love that look too but as soon as I touched it with a light brush the green was gone.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2044774

That survived well... nice recovery!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY do people lay there coins on the Detector screens and take there pikctures ??? It sure scratches them up .

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going! Beautiful Indian!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread