🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Found along a low riverbank in CT.. looks like it once had a pin and was maybe worn. Came out of the ground looking good so maybe silver. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
27F0CC7A-6A5F-43C7-B809-6C15FA0C0F95.jpeg
56C41B84-9F6B-499E-8A96-2630EB915796.jpeg
AB7E9647-762F-4C87-8375-58C0B22E4B36.jpeg
Looks like it was worn like once had pin. Maybe silver cause came out of the ground looking good. Riverbank in CT… any ideas

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it is pure silver. And I bet it is modern say 1970-2010? And no, not worn. But a part of something decorative, a suitcase perhapse?

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few other sites all say the same thing… a thing called a gorget worn bye guys like George Washington! About 300 years old … wow you couldn’t be more wrong cause it is silver …. Amateur l
you should google gorget., they were worn around the neck as armor. your guess seems as off as hers.
images

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should google gorget., they were worn around the neck as armor. your guess seems as off as hers.
images
They became decorative during the 16-1700’s and a scarf was pulled through it hence its half moon shape… went through this on other sites it’s been verified. It would of had a pin too hence the ring on the back

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A few other sites all say the same thing… a thing called a gorget worn bye guys like George Washington! About 300 years old … wow you couldn’t be more wrong cause it is silver …. Amateur lol
I think it is more likely part of a necklace or scarf/tie slide.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is more likely part of a necklace or scarf/tie slide.
Exactly what it is… gorgets became a fashion thing which is where the Boy Scouts got it from eventually…

Upvote 0

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few other sites all say the same thing… a thing called a gorget worn bye guys like George Washington! About 300 years old … wow you couldn’t be more wrong cause it is silver …. Amateur lol
This reply doesn't seem to be in the spirit of a "What is it?" I think if you ask for people's opinions you shouldn't be quite so defensive when people throw out ideas. You also should consider marking it "Solved" if you are certain of its ID.

Upvote 8

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not seeing anything supporting a gorget or your information. From what I’m gathering gorgets are rooted in armor and became symbolic like the saber but maintained a military lane. Also they mention being flat and meant to hang. No mention of becoming slides or any mention or pictures of them having a shape like the original object posted
A89CC58C-12AB-49B1-8BE9-A1E63657565C.jpeg
3A669DC1-1AAF-41CF-818C-A03F04D5BF81.jpeg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not seeing anything supporting a gorget or your information. From what I’m gathering gorgets are rooted in armor and became symbolic like the saber but maintained a military lane. Also they mention being flat and meant to hang. No mention of becoming slides or any mention or pictures of them having a shape like the original object posted
View attachment 2043654 View attachment 2043655
Gorgets became scarf slides as fashion… they were used to slide scarf through and use pin to hold… the half moon gives it away and the shape… Victorian high fashion and even John Adam’s wore one… this is an old silver one.. woggle or Boy Scouts slides come from this…

Upvote 0

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an interesting find and I am glad you posted it, but people come on here to share knowledge. Maybe if you could provide a link to one of the high fashion victorian gorgets, the rest of us could learn from you. Something like this 13cm copper Gorget that George Washington wore?

Attachments

• 0632gorget_trans_adj_ref.jpg
    0632gorget_trans_adj_ref.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 3
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgets became scarf slides as fashion… they were used to slide scarf through and use pin to hold… the half moon gives it away and the shape… Victorian high fashion and even John Adam’s wore one… this is an old silver one.. woggle or Boy Scouts slides come from this…
Fashion evolves through time….
It is an interesting find and I am glad you posted it, but people come on here to share knowledge. Maybe if you could provide a link to one of the high fashion victorian gorgets, the rest of us could learn from you. Something like this 13cm copper Gorget that George Washington wore?
yes similar… they were common in colonial days even women wore them
The original item is not half moon
It’s raining so I’ve got time to kill, still not finding anything to back up your claims. Gorgets do not seem to have anything to do with neck slides.
View attachment 2043668 View attachment 2043669 View attachment 2043670
Look closer it is 100% half moon …🤦🏻‍♂️… it’s military design originated from gorgots into colonial neck slides for a scarf… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Upvote 1

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon closer inspection I have confirmed my original assessment it is NOT a half moon. I have taken the liberty to illustrate this, if you would kindly look closely at my picture you will see a semi circular removal at both the top and bottom of the piece. Now look closely at any example of a victorian or any other gorget and you will notice none show that shape
97B9884D-2031-43F8-8059-2ED66D0E0B75.jpeg

Would be glad to look at any information linking gorgets to slides though, can’t seem to find that

Upvote 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread