found along missisippi minnesota hunting for agates... cant find a solid i.d. is it a hammered medieval coin? hobo art? or a single clue to more??????

tedcunningham

Greenie
Aug 16, 2022
20220816_115259.jpg
CM220730-181254006.jpg

Upvote 13

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the best photos you can take / post ? ? ?
No offense but they are terrible... probably some of the worst posted.
Try again with better camera please... along with size... or size reference... metal type if possible.

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp closeup photos of both the front and the back.
2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.
3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.
4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.
5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."
6. Knowing where you found the item or how you got it can also be helpful in identifying the find.

ā€¢ Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved."

ā€¢ Finally, if someone identifies your item or provides other helpful information, take time to post your appreciation.

Last edited:

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
Welcome to the forum! With some better pictures, I'll bet someone will be able to come up with an id.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, need much better photos than what was posted, and it isn't a hammered coin at all it looks cast.

OP
OP
T

tedcunningham

Greenie
Aug 16, 2022
It is heavilly magnetic, it is old and in ppor condition. Those are only photos i had.
Also found on same side of missisippi river silver quarter and canadian silver dime.no photos tho. Oh shoot i found this too tho u ht i was fake...

Attachments

• 20221031_120548.jpg
    20221031_120548.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221031_120340.jpg
    20221031_120340.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 43

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's well beat up, but I can see a letter N followed by a full stop and what looks like the number 56308.

I suspect it may be a variant of this souvenir good luck token produced for Alexandria in Douglas County, Minnesota, in a number of different metals.

Alexandria.jpg
Alexandria 1.jpg Alexandria 2.jpg

Obverse: ALEXANDRIA, MINN. 56308 / BIRTHPLACE OF AMERICA around a depiction of a Viking looking at a runestone.
Reverse: GOOD LUCK / SOUVENIR around a horseshoe and wishbone.

The ā€œBirthplace of Americaā€ claim and the Viking depiction relate to the alleged discovery of a runestone in Douglas County in 1898, purported to be evidence that the Vikings reached central Minnesota in 1362, long before Columbusā€™ expedition. It was dubbed the ā€˜Kensington Runestoneā€™, the nearest settlement being Kensington, but is now dismissed as a hoax by the mainstream archaeological community.

If it does say ā€˜MINN. 56308ā€™ (the zip code for Alexandria) it could be another kind of token for the city, but couldnā€™t be before 1963 when 5-digit zips were introduced.

OP
OP
T

tedcunningham

Greenie
Aug 16, 2022
That's well beat up, but I can see a letter N followed by a full stop and what looks like the number 56308.

I suspect it may be a variant of this souvenir good luck token produced for Alexandria in Douglas County, Minnesota, in a number of different metals.

View attachment 2055290
View attachment 2055291 View attachment 2055292

Obverse: ALEXANDRIA, MINN. 56308 / BIRTHPLACE OF AMERICA around a depiction of a Viking looking at a runestone.
Reverse: GOOD LUCK / SOUVENIR around a horseshoe and wishbone.

The ā€œBirthplace of Americaā€ claim and the Viking depiction relate to the alleged discovery of a runestone in Douglas County in 1898, purported to be evidence that the Vikings reached central Minnesota in 1362, long before Columbusā€™ expedition. It was dubbed the ā€˜Kensington Runestoneā€™, the nearest settlement being Kensington, but is now dismissed as a hoax by the mainstream archaeological community.

If it does say ā€˜MINN. 56308ā€™ (the zip code for Alexandria) it could be another kind of token for the city, but couldnā€™t be before 1963 when 5-digit zips were introduced.
Thanks so much i got 10 hours research in with no luck. Also this coin u found that matches my phottos it is heavilly magnetic right?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much i got 10 hours research in with no luck. Also this coin u found that matches my phottos it is heavilly magnetic right?
You're welcome. There seems to be at least one other reverse type, and (judging by appearance alone) two or possibly three different metals used. None of the listings seem to say what the metal compositions are though. Some more examples:

Alexandria 3.jpg Alexandria 4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread