The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really weird find and return. Was hunting a soccer field around Beltzville Lake and found this heavy Penn State 10k man's ring. Started off the day really really PO'd because some scumbag loser had just hunted these fields within the past couple of days and left literally HUNDREDS of holes. Beltzville already has strict rules governing metal detecting and it is no doubt because of d'bags like this. Anyway...the ring was inscribed and i had very little trouble tracking down the owner who said he lost it approximately 3 years ago. It was a gift to him from his wife upon his graduation. I told him he was lucky because the guy who left all the holes before me had dug at least 7 targets all around this ring. He probably didn't bother with this one because it came in as a high pulltab. Anyway, the guy who lost the ring seemed less than excited about getting it back. 2 weeks later he finally met me and it was like i was burdening him. Not gracious at all and a really really strange countenance about him. The best is after i handed him the ring he says 'I'm short on cash but do you want some?'. I wasn't really looking for anything but people sometimes let me down. I know if i had lost something like that and someone returned it to me i would have at the very least shown up with a $5 bottle of wine for them. Oh well...i did the right thing and somewhere in the universe my Karma reserve hopefully went up just a little.
John

Attachments

• 0920131101.jpg
    0920131101.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Unreal (owner's attitude) but you did the right thing and gained a lot of karma along the way The-Bone. Thanks for sharing...

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a let down on all accounts!! GOSH! Yes, your positive karma is through the roof right now. Keep it up.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I returned a ring to a guy in Murfreesboro TN where I lived at the time. It had literally been stolen before I was even born. The jerk spent more time questioning me about where I actually got the ring than showing any appreciation for it's return. Oh well, doing the right thing is still the right thing. Congrats on a good find, and thanks for keeping our hobby in a good light. :icon_thumleft:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice of you, thebone!
Maybe the guys life is so bad, that your gesture wasn't even enough, to lift him out of it? :dontknow:
I have a friend(in another state) who has to make choices of using her gas, to go eat at a friends house, or go to the doctor and get her meds. Some ppl are in really poor shape, right now.
still not an excuse and SOME form of gratitude, should have been forthcoming. At least a cheerful attitude and a humble thank you.
You did good! May it come back to you ten-fold! Blessings!

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully, doing the right thing will come back to you in time. It's odd how some people are...you can get both sides of the extremes. I had a guy send me 20.00 for tracking him down after I found one of his disc golfs when I was out playing. I didn't ask or want anything....located him on a message board an mailed it to him. About 1 week later 20.00 came in a letter in the mail with a thank you. Wasn't expecting that. I gave lost my share and hate when they don't get returned...lol. Than you have the other side the guy/gal that will steal from their own brother...lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you did was honorable. Do not let one person get you down for doing a good deed..
HH
TnMtns

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely did the right thing. Had a young man do the same to me after I found his wedding ring in a grass area next to a basketball court upon request. Acted so ho hum, not even a thank you. But karma came back to me when I answered an ad on Craigslist about finding a lost promise ring. Silver with a microscopic diamond chip. She was happy like she had won the lottery!

Karma will come back to you.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can assure you this was not his situation...i found him on linkdn and know where he works and that he is a civil engineer....just a strange bird

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can assure you this was not his situation...i found him on linkdn and know where he works and that he is a civil engineer....just a strange bird

Strange bird? Engineer? Hmmm

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to live near Beltsville and often think about going back to metal detect the lake when the water is drained. Do you ever find anything by the swimming area? You did the right thing, by the way. I always found people in that area to be a little unfriendly

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.jpg

Great Job - You will be rewarded some how/some way - You, my friend are a good man!!!:notworthy:

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointerโ€Ž/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part is you did a good thing and it will come back to you 10 fold.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
As both a PSU engineering alumnus and metal detectorist, I didn't enjoy hearing the outcome of this thread too much. He should have thanked the OP profusely for the return and bought him a beer or two, even if he's dirt poor. After all, he just had a large gold ring returned to him. The only explanation can be that he didn't realize it was lost, and somehow thought you stole it out of his house. Creepy, and not fair to the OP at all.

rlc1940

Sep 21, 2013
You did well in returning the ring, best thing is to write off the encounter, feel good about having helped someone and keep searching the ground!! Some folks attitudes just have to be looked over, around or through, lo!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he is divorced from his wife and it is a bitter reminder. Either way he should have responded with a little more class. People can be weird

Gfrrt

Sep 23, 2013
Monroe
Detector(s) used
White's cm pro and Discovery 1100 with garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Character...That's the real treasure. Well done.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yo you did the right thing:laughing7: Some people are just like that. Then again I found a girls HS ring in 1991 on the beach in Ocean City NJ. I traced her to Texas and shipped her the ring. She has sent me a Christmas card every year since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread