✅ SOLVED Found at the base of an old tree on a historic property in St. Augustine.

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I was shuffling through some top soil at the base of an old tree on the property of the museum I work at and came across the object below. Did reverse image search and didn’t come up with anything very close. Property is has a circa 1800 house on it in St. Augustine Florida. Found in the back garden adjacent to the historic kitchen. Any ideas?
B92C400D-346C-4081-A733-67DEEC89C6B7.jpeg
9C13A27A-89C3-41F2-83CC-84F92023E2C2.jpeg

9C13A27A-89C3-41F2-83CC-84F92023E2C2.jpeg

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello!

I was shuffling through some top soil at the base of an old tree on the property of the museum I work at and came across the object below. Did reverse image search and didn’t come up with anything very close. Property is has a circa 1800 house on it in St. Augustine Florida. Found in the back garden adjacent to the historic kitchen. Any ideas?
View attachment 1994273 View attachment 1994272
View attachment 1994272
Agreed, slate nail. What size is it?

Upvote 3
OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, used on old tile/slate roofs. Found a few of these at a pre-civil war mansion site.
Interesting… would they have been used on the old Spanish style clay tiles? I know those were on the roof prior to 1939, but I don’t have a record of flat slate tiles.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

View attachment 1994273 View attachment 1994272
View attachment 1994272
Be careful where you hunt in St Augustine, while detecting the beaches is legal, detecting in the city is not unless the museum is on private property it is illegal to hunt it and anything found belongs to the owner of the property.

Saint Augustine City
Sec. 6-7. - Excavations on public property.
No individual shall be allowed to use a probe, metal detector or any other device to search or excavate for artifacts on public property, nor can any individual remove artifacts from public property without the written permission of the city.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful where you hunt in St Augustine, while detecting the beaches is legal, detecting in the city is not unless the museum is on private property it is illegal to hunt it and anything found belongs to the owner of the property.

Saint Augustine City
Sec. 6-7. - Excavations on public property.
No individual shall be allowed to use a probe, metal detector or any other device to search or excavate for artifacts on public property, nor can any individual remove artifacts from public property without the written permission of the city.
Thank you for the heads up. I work at the museum and we find artifacts (mostly broken pottery) often. We have a basket we put them in. I was waiting for a photo shoot to finish up this afternoon and was hanging out by my favorite tree and saw it there. I’ve found a few other cool things around the tree so it’s my go to spot when I have a few mins break from the workday. :)

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread