Found button at road tear-up

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I went to a road that is being torn up in an old part of town tonight. I found a little old junk, but I also found this button. It looked like a "cookie coin" to begin with. It was really caked with some crusty black stuff. It came off fairly easily though with some picking and scrubbing, and it surprised me how well preserved the button was under the crud. Anyone have any idea on the age of this button? All I can tell is that this company was founded in 1822. It is backmarked BROWNING KING & CO.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0223a.jpg
    0223a.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button!
There should be a few coins there that may give you an idea of how old the area is.
Good luck!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice button.... The Browning King & Co.....Buttons were made from 1860-1934 ...Keep on Digging!

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I saw that too seeker, on a button age page on the net. What makes me wonder if it could be older is that I saw a TIME magazine article from 1934 that said Browning King & co. was 112 years old, which puts it at 1822. Maybe they didn't have buttons backmarked with that name during that time period? Thanks for the replies. For now, I'll stick with the 1860 to 1934 timeframe. Maybe I'll get a chance to go back and look for coins before it's too late.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions