Found in Colorado (Saguache County)

Jul 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, my name is Michael and I am new to this site… I have searched high and low for some information on this fine day have came up empty-handed. I have wrote several museums to no avail. Hoping someone here can help me.

My dad and I were walking in and around the mountains in southern Colorado around Saguache county and we found this on the side of a cliff. It’s extremely heavy, about 150 pounds or so. It was actually laying face down but looked really odd based on where it was at so when we flipped it over this is what we found.

C5C9D650-4925-455B-87FE-5305106553C0.jpeg CC4DFB0D-6637-45BC-A32F-743BC46F59D6.jpeg

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone, my name is Michael and I am new to this site… I have searched high and low for some information on this fine day have came up empty-handed. I have wrote several museums to no avail. Hoping someone here can help me.

My dad and I were walking in and around the mountains in southern Colorado around Saguache county and we found this on the side of a cliff. It’s extremely heavy, about 150 pounds or so. It was actually laying face down but looked really odd based on where it was at so when we flipped it over this is what we found.

View attachment 1735308 View attachment 1735309

That's a very nice find, AB. I'm not surprised that your research hasn't turned up any answers. Those symbols and their pattern is likely a unique creation by whoever carved it, for reasons likely known by him alone. I guess you wonder if it's a "treasure sign", since you posted the photo on TreasureNet. Maybe so - I'm sure you've been looking for old legends, mining activity, etc.

That said, I'll offer a few things to consider, FWIW. Others will have different ideas. First, it's almost certainly not Native American, IMO. The symbols are easily recognizable (X, star, cross, arrow) and don't resemble any sort of "language". The fact that the rock was upside down indicates that it was placed to be searched for and found, and since was noticed and turned over by you guys, that makes sense. I imagine you left it right where you found it. It sorta looks like a map. If it were me, with no other information to go on, I'd align the star and/or the arrow to the north and then follow the lines in their respective directions to see if you can find any additional carvings, cairns, et al on those bearings. Same goes for that football looking thing with the cross inside it, which is the most unusual symbol on the rock.

Of course, the rock may not be a map. It might simply be a marker randomly decorated to be easily recognized when found. If so, it's location may be significant as part of a larger pattern in the area, or it may have been placed there for all kinds of different reasons. Maybe it was not originally place face-down. Without knowing the history and character of the area, one can't rule out trail markers, surveyor's control points, miners, hunters and hikers' markers, etc. Any hippie camps in the area back in the day? Might be some of their mojo. The list goes on. Good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the museums answer you? Museums have "busy" disease, like a lot of Americans. I think your best answer is some research on the internet. Could be a lot of things, property marker, native American, doodle, I don't know. There are books also available on Indian petroglyphs. That might also help.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
map rock.jpg You must have realized once you have posted on TNet it can not be erased. What you have posted is something that will stay for all to see but not often seen here.I have outlined it just a little, I am glad you posted it it and the some what location it was in. This helps me by just knowing that I was on the right path and yes they did travel thru the area good luck to you and I hope you find it. Just remember be careful putting signs and locations on here everyone is watching and there are a few good folks on here that do like to help and are quite knowledgeable.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello AirborneMichael,

My suggestion is you look at the planet Venus. It was the most prominent marker in the sky. The Spanish were very specific in their measurements as they employed the best cartographers, surveyors, mathematicians and celestial navigators in the form of Jesuit monks who were the smartest people at the time. They were the most learned individuals during that time period.

Take a compass and lay the rock slab in the place you found it and take readings in every direction. The football / cross is a directional indicator as well. Run your compass along that line from point to point on the football shaped object. Please leave it where it laid, it's an important directional marker.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information via a personal PM as to what it could possibly be and why?

Sincerest regards

LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Michael,

The football shaped object is an eye and is telling you to look at the long portion of the cross is the direction you should travel, they are not lips. Orient yourself with the planet venus not the north star.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Goldseeker1

Greenie
Jan 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First off I wouldn’t move it, and if you did it needs to be put back in its original position. If not, you will NEVER find the treasure if the marker relates to one. Secondly look at the color of the stone, it’s naturally out of place and was put there for a reason. An eye catcher so to speak. Can you be more specific about the area? I hunt for treasure in the same county and could possibly help you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow interesting hope you find some treasure

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting!
Would it matter what time of year it was aligned with a particular star since the north star is only one I am familiar with that doesn't "move"?

And would it matter which direction the stone was flipped to align the symbols or that would be resolved by aligning on the star?

Goldseeker1

Greenie
Jan 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting!
Would it matter what time of year it was aligned with a particular star since the north star is only one I am familiar with that doesn't "move"?

And would it matter which direction the stone was flipped to align the symbols or that would be resolved by aligning on the star?

No that doesn’t matter, the reason the stone was face down I’m thinking is because whoever constructed it didn’t want it to be found! This guy needs to take compass readings off this stone and walk in the given direction.

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
I would follow in the direction of the Sword and see if there are other signs. The stone with this kind of marking should point to some thing close by. The sword might only point to a small cache to lead you away from the large one. Then I would follow the longest part of the rock to the next sign locating the treasure or Mine. This is a rock leading to great wealth.

Minetres

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would follow in the direction of the Sword and see if there are other signs. The stone with this kind of marking should point to some thing close by. The sword might only point to a small cache to lead you away from the large one. Then I would follow the longest part of the rock to the next sign locating the treasure or Mine. This is a rock leading to great wealth.

Minetres

Its to bad there wasn't more input from the finder such an interesting find.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to I have been all over that country down there it would have been amazing to have discovered that marker.

Age_Romero

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2020
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I live in the valley to and am a treasure Hunter that is awesome find I have made some cool discoveries in the areas I go as well nothing big yet n there is a lot of this type of stuff around here I have several big leads I'm working on but I'm still a greenhorn but you can learn slot from other vets on hear n also the people in the phillipines have cracked the code of certain symbols on yamashitas treasure n supposedly they used the same code as the Spanish n wwhoever did this stuff the monument markers n what not but anyways if u give up on it or need a good partner to help u I no alot about the mnts n have a really good eye for spotting out these things I do all my hunting in unit 81 n 80 and no those mnts like the back of my hand because I've used to be a outfitter n I just roamed the hills hunting fishing elk shed hunting wood hauling I've just recently the past few years got into this stuff n it blows my mind on wat I nvr noticed before I started looking but anyways I'm not familiar with ur neck of the woods been a few places n I know I found a heart sybol one day going to put up a garage door in a certain famous route by u n I know if I was to go over there I'm sure it's every where do to the history n rich mineral districts around but I have enough leads I need to work on closer to me but if u ever need help I'd be willing to weather it's splitting up to cover more ground or to dig whatever if we find something u know depending on what n how big maybe a little something would be nice I'm not going to lie n say I'd do it for free but I'd like to just find something just for the awesome Ness it would be to find something but anyways if u need help with anything in my neck of the woods lmk too I can give u directions or point u in some good directions around here it's possible them french guys may have cached something by wear you found that cuz they were fleeing back to poncha pass n supposedly they cached gold on a mnt called little roundy up that way but maybe it's closer to wear u found this but anyways if this stuff doesn't interest u or u give up on it could I have a shot at it or like I said I'd be willing to help u to u know twos better than one n maybe that's wat it might take to crack it people need to realize that being real with each other n working together on something gives alot better chance than doing it alone n I wouldn't worry bout anyone finding exactly where u found that the mnts south of sawauche is alot of ground to cover they could spend a life time n never find it none the least if u find anything I'd love to see it or hear about it u can find me on FB for more private conversation s age Romero good luck be safe n whatever u do don't tell the government anything they'll punk u for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread