perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I found the pictured items recently on a beach in Vietnam. The beach was frequented by numerous American soldiers during the Vietnam war so I'm wondering if they are connected to that time period or if they are something more recent. The larger item looks like a pendant while the smaller one appears to be a pin of some kind. As you can see they have the same logo. When I found them, I thought is was the New York Yankees logo but then realized that it looks like a letter Y over a letter M. If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on what it could be, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
image0 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If U look on the distant hill across the water and see the tower on the horizon, that was one of our towers. Just down over the hill was a super secret facility that was hooked to them.
Cool :icon_thumright:Small world huh .I was only at Nha Trang for a month (Sept 69 to Oct. 69). Then my wing( the 14th Special Ops. Wing) was moved to Phang Rang air base where I spend the last 11 months. Nha Trang was a pretty cool location being able to walk to town :)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is for RTR- I'm back in Phan Rang detecting the beach. I decided to rent a motorbike to see if I could actually locate the main gate of the old Phan Rang Airforce Base. It's not so easy (as someone who has never been there) and even apps such as Google Maps will not provide directions (certainly the gov. has blocked it). But by looking at old maps and Google Maps, I believe I stumbled upon the main gate, where the "old strip" used to be located and then the Cham Temple. See the 4 minute video I made below and let me know if it looks familiar.

Road to Phan Rang AB and then to Cham Temple

Upvote 2

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that video.I don't remember a creek being just outside the main gate.And as far as I remember just outside the main gate it was ALL jungle,with few, if any, structures.:icon_scratch:
036.JPG

Here is what the base looked like in 70 .The other side of that Mt.( in center background) is the beach area.And the main gate was in the far right top corner of pix.....Far left of pix. (where jungle meets the base) a Bengal
Tiger was spotted....180 degrees was "Charlies Mt." where they launches Rockets & Mortars at the base..... .Phan Rang was massive in size.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that video.I don't remember a creek being just outside the main gate.And as far as I remember just outside the main gate it was ALL jungle,with few, if any, structures.:icon_scratch: View attachment 2019598
Here is what the base looked like in 70 .The other side of that Mt.( in center background) is the beach area.And the main gate was in the far right top corner of pix.....Far left of pix. (where jungle meets the base) a Bengal
Tiger was spotted....180 degrees was "Charlies Mt." where they launches Rockets & Mortars at the base..... .Phan Rang was massive in size.
I'm on the "Happy Valley" Phan Rang AB Facebook Group and I've found a lot of info. about the history of the base and how it changed even within the years the Americans controlled the base. Apparently, the original Strip was located just outside the main gate until Charley blew it up in 1969. So that must mean you were at Phan Rang after 1969? Here's what the main gate looked like back in the day as compared to now (according to the moderator of that Facebook Group). You
can see the small stream/canal in both photos.
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 11.46.05 PM.png

Upvote 2
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the "Happy Valley" Phan Rang AB Facebook Group and I've found a lot of info. about the history of the base and how it changed even within the years the Americans controlled the base. Apparently, the original Strip was located just outside the main gate until Charley blew it up in 1969. So that must mean you were at Phan Rang after 1969? Here's what the main gate looked like back in the day as compared to now (according to the moderator of that Facebook Group). You
Here's the strip before and after it was blown up by Charley. The location was apparently right outside the main gate. After it was destroyed, I believe another Strip went up somewhere else.
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 12.11.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 12.06.38 AM.png

Upvote 2

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2019602
OK cool I see it :)
The only way we could go to the beach was in a heavily armed convoy at- high speed- with at least 1 gunship(usually a Hue) overhead.Once we left the base it was mock 3 all the way to the beach. They would like to set up an ambush at one Mt. pass we had to go thru.Ah,the good old:laughing7: days
I arrived at P.R. Oct. of 69 where I stayed until Sept. 70 (minus a few TDYs ) to Ubon Thailand

Last edited:
Upvote 1

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my Babies I was assigned to....Fixed wing gunships...14th Special Operations Wing
013.JPG
019.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
007.JPG

And one of them at work just outside the base

Upvote 2

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day we had a 122 come over our head and it hit the JP4 tank beside the runway that is pictured here. We had a bit of a fuel shortage the next day.
At Nha Trang Sept.-Oct. 1969 we had these two accidents.The F-100 came in w/o power ,went off the end of the runway, & dug its-self (wing high) in the beach sand. When it was pulled out it was loaded w/bombs......On the Chopper accident...dunno what happened to it,it crashed off base and was airlifted to Nha Trang.
004.JPG
003.JPG

Upvote 2

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I found the pictured items recently on a beach in Vietnam. The beach was frequented by numerous American soldiers during the Vietnam war so I'm wondering if they are connected to that time period or if they are something more recent. The larger item looks like a pendant while the smaller one appears to be a pin of some kind. As you can see they have the same logo. When I found them, I thought is was the New York Yankees logo but then realized that it looks like a letter Y over a letter M. If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on what it could be, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 2018921
Hey ,have you tried the beaches at Bangkok ? Should be a good spot :)
>> https://www.intrepidtravel.com/us/t...A&utm_term=/us/thailand/&utm_content=Thailand

Upvote 1
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I haven't been to Thailand in 15 years or so (and that was before I was metal detecting). There are many expat retirees there, though, so I would assume there is a lot of competition.

Reactions: RTR
Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reactions: RTR
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread