Found my first 18th century Indian trade ring!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a family reunion at my cousin's house in Columbus, OH this past Saturday. Since I was heading that way, I made arrangements with my friend Greg, who lives an hour further west, to go out a day earlier and do a little metal detecting. The first site we went to was new ground near a small War of 1812 fort. Unfortunately, this site was a bust, so we went to plan B. Plan B was a historic farm that had an Indian trading post from 1769 to 1782, a 1790s US military outpost, and a War of 1812 encampment. The site has been hunted hard since the 1960s, but I managed to find a few things, including my first Indian Trade Ring (at least what's left of one). The site has also been a hotbed for native American artifacts for many years. Although the headhunters had already hit the property multiple times this year, I managed to find a piece they missed.
UPDATE: Thanks to Peruna's input below, I think we now know what the letters DI stand for. "Domine Iesu" translates to "Lord Jesus" in Latin. As these rings are known to be Jesuit in origin, this makes sense.

IMG_20220501_110705886_2.jpg

ring front.jpg

Ring Dirty.jpg

ring back.jpg

Point in Dirt.jpg

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio. Can you imagine how long it took to shape and polish this axe?
Grooved Axe.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries...
Regarding the ring, if indeed it was a trade from Jesuit or any other Order, the latin fo "Lord Jesus" would have been Domine Iesu, thus the possible letter link.

Just a thought. Not too many trade items in this part of Texas that come even close to yours. Hunting different areas of our nation gives some great items for other locations to look at.
Thanks! Now that makes sense.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but I assume traded was pre-owned but if manufactured solely for trade its odd to put meaningless letters that meant nothing to a native.
Looks like one of our members has solved the meaning of the letters!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great trade ring
Welcome to a select club

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a family reunion at my cousin's house in Columbus, OH this past Saturday. Since I was heading that way, I made arrangements with my friend Greg, who lives an hour further west, to go out a day earlier and do a little metal detecting. The first site we went to was new ground near a small War of 1812 fort. Unfortunately, this site was a bust, so we went to plan B. Plan B was a historic farm that had an Indian trading post from 1769 to 1782, a 1790s US military outpost, and a War of 1812 encampment. The site has been hunted hard since the 1960s, but I managed to find a few things, including my first Indian Trade Ring (at least what's left of one). The site has also been a hotbed for native American artifacts for many years. Although the headhunters had already hit the property multiple times this year, I managed to find a piece they missed.
UPDATE: Thanks to Peruna's input below, I think we now know what the letters DI stand for. "Domine Iesu" translates to "Lord Jesus" in Latin. As these rings are known to be Jesuit in origin, this makes sense.

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio. Can you imagine how long it took to shape and polish this axe?
View attachment 2024478
such a cool ring, great save! wtg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries...
Regarding the ring, if indeed it was a trade from Jesuit or any other Order, the latin fo "Lord Jesus" would have been Domine Iesu, thus the possible letter link.
That's sounds plausible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread