Found my first 18th century Indian trade ring!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a family reunion at my cousin's house in Columbus, OH this past Saturday. Since I was heading that way, I made arrangements with my friend Greg, who lives an hour further west, to go out a day earlier and do a little metal detecting. The first site we went to was new ground near a small War of 1812 fort. Unfortunately, this site was a bust, so we went to plan B. Plan B was a historic farm that had an Indian trading post from 1769 to 1782, a 1790s US military outpost, and a War of 1812 encampment. The site has been hunted hard since the 1960s, but I managed to find a few things, including my first Indian Trade Ring (at least what's left of one). The site has also been a hotbed for native American artifacts for many years. Although the headhunters had already hit the property multiple times this year, I managed to find a piece they missed.
UPDATE: Thanks to Peruna's input below, I think we now know what the letters DI stand for. "Domine Iesu" translates to "Lord Jesus" in Latin. As these rings are known to be Jesuit in origin, this makes sense.

IMG_20220501_110705886_2.jpg

ring front.jpg

Ring Dirty.jpg

ring back.jpg

Point in Dirt.jpg

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio. Can you imagine how long it took to shape and polish this axe?
Grooved Axe.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a family reunion at my cousin's house in Columbus, OH this past Saturday. Since I was heading that way, I made arrangements with my friend Greg, who lives an hour further west, to go out a day earlier and do a little metal detecting. The first site we went to was new ground near a small War of 1812 fort. Unfortunately, this site was a bust, so we went to plan B. Plan B was a historic farm that had an Indian trading post from 1769 to 1782, a 1790s US military outpost, and a War of 1812 encampment. The site has been hunted hard since the 1960s, but I managed to find a few things, including my first Indian Trade Ring (at least what's left of one). The site has also been a hotbed for native American artifacts for many years. Although the headhunters had already hit the property multiple times this year, I managed to find a piece they missed.

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio.
View attachment 2024478
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio.
View attachment 2024478
That trade ring is awesome. Beautifully front design. Also the pocketful of musket balls. Congratulations on your discoveries!

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

My friend also has some killer Native American artifacts. and while at his house I got the opportunity to lay my hand on the largest grooved stone axe ever found in the state of Ohio. Can you imagine how long it took to shape and polish this axe?

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

View attachment 2024478
Awesome recoveries! That ring is unique and love your buddies native finds!!! Kind of jealous of that axe

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection of finds! Congratulations! The ring is a beauty for what it is and its age. Thanks for posting.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

View attachment 2024478
Interesting find Steve. Do the markings on the ring have any significance? Congrats!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find Steve. Do the markings on the ring have any significance? Congrats!!

1651544637355.png

Thad, I would also like to know what the inscriptions mean. The lettering style on mine is similar to D above.

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

View attachment 2024478
Very cool! Thanks for sharing...

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

View attachment 2024478
That a really interesting ring. Nice find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the owner initials, remembering the D I was likely to be a D J in that period. eg. David Jones.
It is possible that a white man wore this ring, but it very similar to the Jesuit rings traded to the Indians, and there were a lot of Indians on this site when the trading post was active.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible that a white man wore this ring, but it very similar to the Jesuit rings traded to the Indians, and there were a lot of Indians on this site when the trading post was active.
Yeah, but I assume traded was pre-owned but if manufactured solely for trade its odd to put meaningless letters that meant nothing to a native.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2024473
View attachment 2024474
View attachment 2024475
View attachment 2024476
View attachment 2024477

View attachment 2024478
Fantastic Find! Those rings are rare and quite old.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries...
Regarding the ring, if indeed it was a trade from Jesuit or any other Order, the latin for "Lord Jesus" would have been Domine Iesu, thus the possible letter link.

Just a thought. Not too many trade items in this part of Texas that come even close to yours. Hunting different areas of our nation gives some great items for other locations to look at.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread