Found my first Coinstar with leftovers in the tray

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Unfortuately, it's all modern clad coinage ::)
Total take = 32 cents.
Had to throw away one of the pennies... it was coated with something sticky that really stinks. :P

This particular Coinstar is located behind the checkout lines of my local Kroger's grocery store. I'll be eyeballing that baby every time I pass by.
HH,
Bob

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats,

i've found two wheats directly from the machine and two silver rosovelts left on a counter which most likely came from the machine. Good luck with future finds and...

HH
-GC

OP
OP
HobBob

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
.. its a machine, usually located in a high traffic public place like a supermarket, that accepts all the coinage you can feed it, counts it (for a nominal fee, of course), and then gives you a voucher (or some such thing) that allows you to convert it to paper money or use it to purchase groceries with.

I've never used one of the things, but have seen one in use and have heard stories from others.

They are a little touchy though (so I hear)... if the coinage is not perfect, it rejects it and spits it out into a tray so it can be taken back by the person feeding the machine. Sometimes, people forget to scoop up their rejects.

And rumor has it that they don't like silver coinage, and will reject them.

Which makes it a good spot to check as you pass by!

HH,
Bob

kalpinro

May 25, 2006
I would say that rumor is true. I have found about dozen silver coins in the tray over the past four years.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I always check the coin return and the tray that you lift up to dump (sometimes coins don't slide down all the way) everytime I go past one. Just modern clad, but who cares.

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're mention of the coin being sticky and stinky reminds me of the story my dad used to tell me of how when he was a kid he swallowed a nickel and a couple of days or so later he recovered it. I hope this was not your case. Good finds!

Rabby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread