FOUND MY FIRST SPEARHEAD! Need Help with ID...

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll admit that I have zero knowledge of arrowheads and spearheads. I'm a metal detectorist by trade and always look for them while in the field, but today was the first time in 4 years detecting that I've actually come across one!

I found this one in a plowed field in Addison County, Vermont. Waltham, Vt to be specific. The point is a shade longer than 3 inches in length, and nearly 1.5 inches at its widest. I've heard of many spear/arrowheads found in this area, but again, this is the first I've come across.

I don't know if there's any way to ID these or not. Or any way of dating, or getting an approximate age. I'm hoping the experts in this forum will help me out with any information they can share.

I'm VERY excited about this find and would like to hear from you! Thanks!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Attachments

• Spear1.jpg
    Spear1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 135
  • Spear2.jpg
    Spear2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Spear3.jpg
    Spear3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 126
  • Spear4.jpg
    Spear4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Now that's a very nice first find. Congratulations!

I'm sure one of the eastern people will be able to help you out with id.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest it be a Neville related type, roughly 6000-7000 years old, but humbly defer to those more knowledgeable about your area. Nice point no matter what you call it. Congratulations, and go find more. : )

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest it be a Neville related type, roughly 6000-7000 years old, but humbly defer to those more knowledgeable about your area. Nice point no matter what you call it. Congratulations, and go find more. : )

I also posted this on the What is it? forum. A guy there, suggested possibly Morrow Mountain. I looked that up and found some that looked similar. I don't know if I'm searching properly, but can't seem to find anything on Neville. Can you provide a link to some Neville points?

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A morrow mountain point is a southeastern point type. Neville is a good possibility, and a Genesee looks like a good match for that as well. The member on this forum to ask or see if they weigh in is charl, he would be who I would take to the bank with his thoughts.

Nice find! Oh here is a link that may help you. NativeTech: Major Aboriginal Projectile Point Types in Southern New England

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A morrow mountain point is a southeastern point type. Neville is a good possibility, and a Genesee looks like a good match for that as well. The member on this forum to ask or see if they weigh in is charl, he would be who I would take to the bank with his thoughts.

Nice find! Oh here is a link that may help you. NativeTech: Major Aboriginal Projectile Point Types in Southern New England

Thanks Chase! I was doing some searching on my own, and was looking toward the Bare Island variety as a possible match. You pointed out the Genesee which is in the same period. Both look close. Thanks for the link, and the suggestion. Hopefully Charl will chime in.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
You may want to look at Mansion Inn Blade too. Overstreets newest edition has me leaning that way.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a basalt arrowhead ...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its got a nice beveled edge on it. Frame worthy IMO, congrats

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its got a nice beveled edge on it. Frame worthy IMO, congrats

Thanks Rock! It might just end up in one very soon! Even if it was in terrible shape it would probably make a frame since it's my first find!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be the center piece of your future frame of more points.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
chase left a good link, but I'm going to suggest this guide as the best for you to use in Vermont. It's Ritchie's New York typology, but it's still mostly valid. You won't find certain New England types like Neville, Stark, and others, but it's still one of the best for the Northeast:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

Regarding your point, is the bottom of the stem broken at all?(can you see a cross section along the base or is it thinned?) If not, then the stem is too short for a Genesee and too wide for a Neville. It's definitely not in the narrow point tradition in the Northeast. If no damage to the base of the stem, then it does resemble the Watertown variety of a Mansion Inn blade. It might also be a Snook Kill, but again, one expects the stem to be longer.

Another New England typology guide:

http://www.nativetech.org/stone/pointtypes/

Here's a narrow variant of Snook Kill for comparison:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are all from upstate NY. Beginning on the right, the 3rd point and 4th point to the left are Watertown varieties of Mansion Inn points. Can you see the resemblance of the 3rd point to the point you found? One possibility. And a Watertown Mansion Inn illustrated in Overstreet. Appreciate chase's expression of confidence, but I don't consider myself the guy for the Northeast. Just do the best I can. Typology isn't that easy. But, short, wide stem, and sizable wide blade, I will go with Mansion Inn. They are a part of the Susquehanna broad point tradition in the Northeast and date Late-Terminal Archaic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably right about material, but it's WAY to big for any arrowhead, believe me. The width of this piece is near maximum length of most actual arrowheads.
probably actually the head of an atlatl dart...

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job you found a good one for your first find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread