Found old Chinese silver bar, need help!

Oct 20, 2021
New to the forum, sorry if I’m a newbie…

Just wanted to know what hallmarks are in the back of this Chinese silver bar..

I tried to look it up myself and had no luck….

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Upvote 14

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Very nice. It looks to be an "Annan bar" (also "Annam bar") used for trade and payment of taxes in Annan Province (the Tang Protectorate of Vietnam). There's a bit of background on a previous thread in relation to a late 1800s example at the link below. Yours looks to be early 1800s:

We really need someone familiar with the language and hopefully our member Yang Hao will pop up with his usual helpful insight. I'll drop him a private message asking if he can help.

The characters could say a number of things... Imperial reign to give us a date, name of a merchant, specific purpose such as for tobacco tax, the currency units it represented or any combination of those. The exact weight will also be helpful in determining its intended currency value if you can provide that information.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For got to add,

The bar weighs 223Grams

Thanks for that. The Vietnamese ones are the most common, were usually made from melted down foreign coins, have a consistent assay of .99 fine and with the larger ones valued at 10 and 5 Lang. The general standard was around 38g of fine silver per Lang but yours doesn’t fit with that… although there are examples which don’t, and presumably these relate to fluctuations in silver prices, lower standards of silver, or alignment to currencies other than the Lang. Similar pieces were in use in Thailand, Hong Kong and China, primarily in the opium trade… so we really do need some character translations.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a photo example of what appears to be what is in your photos. In Chinese it is: 道光年铸平足紋銀條。

It appears to be from china made in the Qing dynasty during emperor Dao Guang's reign 1821-1850 and it says it's fine silver. Hope this helps.

daoguan.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a photo example of what appears to be what is in your photos. In Chinese it is: 道光年铸平足紋銀條。

It appears to be from china made in the Qing dynasty during emperor Dao Guang's reign 1821-1850 and it says it's fine silver. Hope this helps.

That helps a great deal. Thank you once again Yang Hao.

OP
OP
B
Oct 20, 2021

View attachment 1986301
I have to tell you I’ve always read the forms, but this was the first time I actually created an account and decided to post some thing and this is shockingly amazing how great this type of network is!!!!thank you and everyone here for the Help!!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the forum, sorry if I’m a newbie…

Just wanted to know what hallmarks are in the back of this Chinese silver bar..

I tried to look it up myself and had no luck….

Thanks for any help or ideas!
Welcome to Tnet!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions