jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my hunting partner and i got permission to hunt a old bed and breakfast inn in morgan town pa. a few weeks ago. and it proved to be another good spot he got us. after only finding a few wheats and a indian. i moved from the front yard to the back where there were remains of a old smoke house. not even 10-mins of swinging the head i hit this at 5 inches and rang up on the meter as quarter/half/ dug the plug nothing dug some more it was in the side of the hole, needless to say i was happy really wild 1765 german thaler. also found a smaller coin near the back of the property its old not sure what it is. the flat buttons where found near the back door leading outside to the garden. guess i throw them back in the oil to soak some more. the thaler cleaned up good i little brass-o to get the black off. o yea ps # this post is dedicated to kirk of pa giving me some insight on appreciation of nice dug finds and sharing them with all. its just i find alot and dont always have the time to photograph and cleaning up the finds. let alone getting out for the search having family issues and taking care of a autistic son. enjoy all happy hunting-!!!

Attachments

• Picture 278.jpg
    Picture 278.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,113
  • Picture 279.jpg
    Picture 279.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Picture 281.jpg
    Picture 281.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 992
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great looking Finds.

P.A really is one of the great places to hunt in. I've found alot of great things in and around the city of Pittsburgh. And also in other parts of P.a.

That is one old silver coin. I'm sure there is more around there.

HH Jer

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice, ya don't see many of them around. The coins kind a' give ya an idea of how old that place is. Nice finds.........Rich

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Central PA said:
Those are nice, ya don't see many of them around. The coins kind a' give ya an idea of how old that place is. Nice finds.........Rich
the date stone on the side of the house 1746 rbg. i should have taken my camera with me

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins. I think I see william on the left side of the copper.....William III? I'm guessing. Congratulations on the great hunt. You might see this one on the banner. Especially because you found it in Pa. :o

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY nice finds....CONGRATS!!!! gotta love those old B&B's...check the historical society etc. for old stage stops as well..hit that place hard and you may be rewarded with more sweet old silver like that Thayer!!!! ;D

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Congrats on some EXCELLENT finds!!!!!! ;D

Keep up the great work and thanks for posting!
HH, Hank 8)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Adding some more info:
FRIDERICUS BORUSSORUM REX Your coin is from the kingdom of Prussia (now north-central Germany) and was issued during the reign of Friedrich II. The Latin inscription around his likeness identifies him as "Frederick King of Prussia," perhaps better known as Frederick the Great. The text on the reverse is German and indicates the denomination of the 'Reichsthaler'. The Mint mark is A (don't know, maybe Berlin). The metal is .666 fine (2/3 pure) silver.
Don.......

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/199909/askmarkparker/

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was my birthday that would have been one great b-day present ;D congrats on the finds, awsome looking coin.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a super find and one to cherish, I am familiar with Morgantown, having grown up in Reading and my Dad back in the 60's-80's had a cabin on a lake between Reading and Morgantown. What an old, historic beautiful area!

That entire area was settled rather early and in by the mid 1700's there were quite a few towns established and good number of farms. I never have seen really how well coppers due in that reddish clay type soil, and also have not seen how they look from nearby Exeter and Alsace Townships where my ancestors had farms in the mid to late 1700's.

Oh, wanted to add, no surprise on the german coin since the vast majority of settlers to the area back then were Germans.

May you have more trips to the area that are just as successful!

Don

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
That is a super find and one to cherish, I am familiar with Morgantown, having grown up in Reading and my Dad back in the 60's-80's had a cabin on a lake between Reading and Morgantown. What an old, historic beautiful area!

That entire area was settled rather early and in by the mid 1700's there were quite a few towns established and good number of farms. I never have seen really how well coppers due in that reddish clay type soil, and also have not seen how they look from nearby Exeter and Alsace Townships where my ancestors had farms in the mid to late 1700's.

Oh, wanted to add, no surprise on the german coin since the vast majority of settlers to the area back then were Germans.

May you have more trips to the area that are just as successful!

Don
we where invited back anytime we where in the area. really nice owners. i gave them the 1899 indain i found as than you. thanks for the imput don.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some FANTASTIC finds there! The "A" mintmark was common on Prussian coins--which is really what this coin is (since "Germany" didn't exist back then). These were struck in Berlin.

I *might* agree with the ID on the copper coin, but without a close-up of it I can't be sure. IF it is a William III copper, I think the front should say "GVLIELMVS TERTIVS" (yes, those folks at the mint misspelled his name, ::) ). The back should say "BRITANNIA." If you see a large cross on the back, this could have been a copy of a crown or half crown (might've been silver plated at one time). Either way, post a clearer photo if it if you'd like an ID on the coin, and I'm sure someone will help out. This coin is likely older than the Thaler is...

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread