717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1350 and newly added AT Pro on April 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have been using my Garrett GTI 1350 for 5+ years and finally upgraded to the AT Pro. I had my first opportunity to get out with it on Sunday. I found this old iron padlock and quite a few pieces of iron and small brass.

I realize there is a learning curve and that I must relearn what sounds that I am used to hearing with my older GTI1350 ~~~ but, geez.... I am frustrated to no end!!! I have read the manual backwards and forwards and watched videos. But the sounds I am hearing in the pro mode just do not seem right!! I almost think it sounds like a bad connection (speaker) by the way the sounds come out. Since I am almost right underneath some power lines, I have spent a lot of time trying to make sure the ground balance is correct, manual and auto. I have the iron disc at 35, but it still sounds like a broken speaker in pro mode. STD mode sounds clear and crisp but not PRO. Ugh!!!

Attachments

• image-479823157.jpg
    image-479823157.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 1

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the same issue from time to time not sure why, hope we get a chime in from the pro exsperts lol

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's hard to know what is going on without hearing. are you in iron audio mode? if so, turn that off and retry. pro mode sounds are much different.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine does the same thing. It does not like power lines, overhead or buried. Ground balance needs to be correct, then try turning down sensitivity two or three notches. GL&HH.

OP
OP
717fly

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the iron audio off and have this definite "broken speaker" chatter. Even attempts to GB don't give it any relief and the Sens is down 3-4 notches. I just hate to run it in STD mode and miss all the goodies!!

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try changing the frequency. Seems like the larger coil picks up emi more also. Maybe u r also in an iron infested field. Since u do detect Id bet that isn't the prob. But make sure everything cable is tight and changing freq. should do the trick.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd recommend trying your hunts in an area miles from power lines and learning what your machine does where there is no interference-- then you can figure out if you're hearing interference or have some other problem. Some detectors are more sensitive to power lines than others, and the upgrade is probably much more sensitive than you're used to.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the same issue. Move away from the are and give it a try. I run pro mode with 35 desc.at the beach and love it. It does take some time to learn the machine. I have found that foil can give you that broken tone in pro mode. You may have some trash in the area. Hang in there.....that is a great machine.

OP
OP
717fly

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the tips!! I won't give up and hopefully can report with some good finds in a few days. I just finished flying this week and have a few days off to dig in.... ;-)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to check the machine at home and in the field. See if the issue is different or goes away depending on where you hunt.

If there's a hit and miss with the sound no matter where, then you may have a defective speaker. Does it sound the same thru
the headphones? If so, try manipulating the wires going into the headset to see if it changes.

Hope that helps.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In trashy areas pro mode can sound that way...if Im overwhelmed with chatter I hunt in standard mode...Ive found some nice stuff in standard mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread