🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Found pieces to a copper necklace. Native American?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in the woods yesterday and found quite a few pieces of thin copper. They all have a tiny hole on the edge, so I'm thinking it was once a necklace. Any chance this necklace is Native American? I know copper kettle points are found on a fairly regular basis around here, so it might be possible that these pieces are that old. Any input would be appreciated.

copper 1.JPG
and found quite a few pieces of thin copper. They all have a tiny hole on the edge, so I'm thinking it was once a necklace. Any chance this necklace is Native American? I know copper kettle points are found on a fairly regular basis around here, so it might be possible that these pieces are that old. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• G0171812.JPG
    G0171812.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds, however, are cut with the same die. They would stack, and line up precisely. Additionally, the unique bend is the same, and would fit together, as machine-made pieces would.

Could be die cut, but die cutting has been around since the 1850's. I also don't think you're giving Native Americans credit for having the skill to make two (or more) metal pieces exactly the same size and shape. Not all their jewelry work was crude and rough. Do a Google search and you'll see some amazing jewelry made by Native Americans in the 1600's and 1700's.

Upvote 1

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be die cut, but die cutting has been around since the 1850's. I also don't think you're giving Native Americans credit for having the skill to make two (or more) metal pieces exactly the same size and shape. Not all their jewelry work was crude and rough. Do a Google search and you'll see some amazing jewelry made by Native Americans in the 1600's and 1700's.
I hope it's Native American. How did we get to not thinking I'm giving credit to Native Americans' jewelry making skills? By suggesting to you, that your wind chime isn't Native American, I am disrespecting Native Americans. How did that happen? I did not say they could not make pieces the same size and shape. I said THOSE pieces were not exactly alike.
I did not use the terms crude and rough. Your words. I hope it's what you want it to be, regardless. Jeez.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the repies. You''re right, I need to keep an open mind on these pieces. I'll go back today or tomorrow and see if I can find anything else there. I'm just wondering why none of the pieces had any thread or wire on them. Thread could break down over many years, but I've found 1700's buttons that still had thread on the eyelet.

Hopefully, I'll find a roach clip or metal pipe at the spot and then I'll know it was wind chime that a 1960's hippie had while he was camping out on public land! Lol!
Wind chimes have been used since mankind began to pay attention to the weather and try to predict its future.
Just because it may be a wind chime does not mean it is not a "significant" find... its quite the contrary.
As far as value of a wind chime goes ...lol... um one was valued at over 1 million dollars on Antique Road Show... So dont scoff it off too quickly.

Also... the "Arts and Crafts" movement would also apply here ,,, which again can be a significant find.
Both would perhaps not be in your wheelhouse as far as "like" or "hope" for a find... but none the less a great find.

Hope this irons things out a bit.

PS... I HIGHLY suggest you return and detect that exact area thoroughly.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to note, the 17th and 18th century European made trade good were rather crude. The hand hammered native American items of the 17th century were rather crude, as being handmade, but not necessarily so. In the 18th century the natives would not have had the steel molds to stamp out brass in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not Native American, but not sure of the age. Went back to that spot today and found one more copper piece and a really cool relic, part of a Sterling silver pen. It's stamped "Sterling" and has a "WW" hallmark on it. Very ornate and definitely pre-1900.

Attachments

• sterling pen.jpg
    sterling pen.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 46
  • sterling pen 2.jpg
    sterling pen 2.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 3
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not use the terms crude and rough. Your words. I hope it's what you want it to be, regardless. Jeez.

My mistake to get it in my head that it was a necklace. It may very well be a wind chime. Your comment was your honest opinion and wasn't disrespectful to Native American artisans of that time period.

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not Native American, but not sure of the age. Went back to that spot today and found one more copper piece and a really cool relic, part of a Sterling silver pen. It's stamped "Sterling" and has a "WW" hallmark on it. Very ornate and definitely pre-1900.
Not sure that is pen part... what is the size...?

Are you sure about the WW mark... i cant make it out... perhaps this will lead to exact use.

Cool spot Tim... again i would work that area hard.

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure that is pen part... what is the size...?

Are you sure about the WW mark... i cant make it out... perhaps this will lead to exact use.

Cool spot Tim... again i would work that area hard.
It is the body of a dip pen. Nice one. Art nouveau repousse styling. Turn of the 20th C give or take a decade.

s-l1600.jpg

Upvote 4

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, whatever it is, I'd keep it. If you think it was a wind chime, you might make a new one (and keep it inside.)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find a similar one on Ebay. The seller states that it's Victorian Era, but not sure if he's correct. Cool find, though. Now if I can just find the rest of it!

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 1

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote wind chimes as well. As for them being out in the woods ? Who knows what drumbeat some people march to ? If it's any comfort, you can polish them up and make a nice wind chime with them.

Upvote 0

nickums

Jul 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in the woods yesterday and found quite a few pieces of thin copper. They all have a tiny hole on the edge, so I'm thinking it was once a necklace. Any chance this necklace is Native American? I know copper kettle points are found on a fairly regular basis around here, so it might be possible that these pieces are that old. Any input would be appreciated.

View attachment 2030759 and found quite a few pieces of thin copper. They all have a tiny hole on the edge, so I'm thinking it was once a necklace. Any chance this necklace is Native American? I know copper kettle points are found on a fairly regular basis around here, so it might be possible that these pieces are that old. Any input would be appreciated.
Looks like an old kit they used to have for rug braiding

Upvote 0

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen similar cut pieces of copper & brass like that used on temporary horse pens/camp corral, they would use a string/rope around horses for the pen, then hang these pieces off rope/string to warn campers/others that horses are being spooked. Lol like a early alarm/warning device.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread