Found the Contents of a Union Cavalryman's Cartridge Box!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found the Contents of a Union Cavalryman's Cartridge Box Full of RARE Bullets!!

So this is one of the coolest things I've ever found! My hunting buddy Craig and I went out to one of our favorite sites called Minie Ball Hill to look for some Civil War relics. I got a scratchy signal at the base of a tree that ended up being a V Nickel (we find a lot of these here), went over the hole and got an iron signal that was a nail. Went back over the hole again and got another DEEP signal. I dug down about a foot and got a .54 caliber Minie Ball! Went back over the whole and got ANOTHER signal... ANOTHER .54 Minie! About a foot over I get another very deep signal. I dig down a foot again and still didn't have it out of the hole. Two inches deeper, I and I see some white lead in the bottom of the hole. I pull it out and it's the remnants of a Civil War Gallagher Carbine cartridge! The rounded base of the shell was a dead giveaway to it's ID. Something weird though... There were TWO Gallagher bases in my hand and only one bullet. There were more in the hole! I keep digging and pull out another 8 Gallagher cartridges! Fill in the hole and get yet ANOTHER signal less than a foot away... dig another hole and find MORE Gallagher cartridges! There were also a few more .54 Minie Balls mixed in with them! It was dark at this point, so I called it quits and went back out the next day. I was getting a few more signals, but nothing that was sounding like more bullets. Just out of curiosity, I dug a random hole next to where I found the last bullets and used my pinpointer. At about 14" deep, it started going off. MORE Gallaghers and .54 Minies!! I followed the trail of bullets for a few hours and ended up pulling out another 16 bullets total! I couldn't believe it! Several hours of digging, and I had a grand total of 20 Gallagher cartridges and 12 .54 Minies!!! Unfortunately, the Gallagher cartridges were in horrible condition because of the black powder corroding them for 155 years. The Minies were in decent shape though. I'm wondering why those two types of bullets would be in the same hole. I know the Gallagher was a cavalry weapon and the .54s were fired out of a rifle. We were convinced that it was a Union Cavalry camp from right at the end of the war in 1865. Anyway, this was one of my best ever Civil War finds and was definitely a very unexpected way to start 2020! Craig got a .54 Minie and I gave him a Gallagher, and our other hunting buddy got a Gallagher. Sorry for the long post, but I'm just super excited about these! It's taken me a week of careful cleaning to keep these things from falling apart more. Any ideas on how to preserve these cartridges?

Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• gallagher-12.jpg
    gallagher-12.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 155
  • gallagher-13.jpg
    gallagher-13.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 112
  • gallagher-10.jpg
    gallagher-10.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 110
  • gallagher-1.jpg
    gallagher-1.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 122
  • gallagher-2.jpg
    gallagher-2.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 46

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find & a great write-up.

I was able to put a Spencer Rd together that I dropped when I got home ( Clean Break ) looks like 2 of yours could be fixed .

I used Gorilla glue , stuck it on both sides & on top of the hard dry powder , the glue expands , then I carefully (after drying f or a day or so ) ; then I took the Dremel and slowly ground down the protruding glue right down to the break , then covered that one with Tung Oil , (not the lead ) & on another whole Spencer but with cracks in it's case I sprayed a clear flat poly to strengthen it .

Both look great & I can barely make out the one I glued .
Now ? what to do with my other cracked but whole Spencer's + I got to mail one that hopefully won't break in transit .

GD

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out there today and got ANOTHER Gallagher bullet! This one was found in a different spot maybe 15 feet away from the rest of them.

That is one great picture!

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone! We're going back out there tomorrow to hopefully find some more in the same area.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck & be safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread