Found these rusty metal pieces and not sure what they are.?!

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just started metal detecting and went to the treasure coast area of FL earlier this week. I found a bunch of what appears to be rusty metal washed up on the beach, a local said he finds this stuff near the ship wrecks and attributes the metal to the 1715 wreck. What is confusing me is when I put my metal detector into a higher discrimination mode, it does not ever filter out this metal. I have a tresoro vaquero, and I figure this metal is rusty Iron, but when setting the disc level well above Iron, and even to max, the metal still registers on the detector when gold samples and small coins like nickels drop out. This metal is also magnetic. Can anyone shed some light onto what this stuff might be.?

beachMetal.jpg

This metal below is concave and someone said it might be a fragment of an exploding canon ball.? This beach is also just a little south of Cape Canaveral and others have said they find stuff from shuttle/rocket launches, so maybe that can help some ID this stuff... Any information would be greatly appreciated. It was fun finding it regardless of what it turns out to be. :hello2:

concaveMetal.jpg

OP
OP
E

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I upgraded the stock coil on the Vaquero with an NEL Hunter coil and now when I use discrimination the metal finally DOES disappear when I go past Iron. So maybe the stock concentric coil that ships with those detectors doesn't do a good job of separation of metals. I can't wait to drive back up to the treasure coast and try again with the new coil and see if I can find anything shiny.... :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread