vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard desert_rat95! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
teacher.gif
2nd - Here are a few informative articles talking about meteorites...

Meteorites are pieces of asteroids and other bodies like the moon and Mars that travel through space and fall to the earth...

Do You Think You May Have Found a Meteorite?
Portland State University - Meteorite identification

The mission of our laboratory is to conduct meteorite research to help understand our place in the universe...

About Meteorites
Aerolite Meteorites

A meteorite is a piece of iron, stone, or stony-iron composite that has fallen to Earth from outer space...

How to find out if you have a Meteorite?
Meteorite-Identification.Com

The purpose of this site is to help the visitor better understand elementary identification of the most common meteorites...

Suspect Meteorite Tests

Upvote 4
OP
OP
desert_rat95

desert_rat95

Nov 8, 2021
California
Detector(s) used
standard store bought metal detector
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard desert_rat95! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
teacher.gif
2nd - Here are a few informative articles talking about meteorites...

Meteorites are pieces of asteroids and other bodies like the moon and Mars that travel through space and fall to the earth...

Do You Think You May Have Found a Meteorite?
Portland State University - Meteorite identification

The mission of our laboratory is to conduct meteorite research to help understand our place in the universe...

About Meteorites
Aerolite Meteorites

A meteorite is a piece of iron, stone, or stony-iron composite that has fallen to Earth from outer space...

How to find out if you have a Meteorite?
Meteorite-Identification.Com

The purpose of this site is to help the visitor better understand elementary identification of the most common meteorites...

Suspect Meteorite Tests
thank you, profile has been updated.

Upvote 2

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only have two at my disposal but seems to contain fusion crust
Is magnetic
1st smaller specimen weighs 125g
the bigger specimen is 870g
found in the southern Californian desert
yes! they look like meteorites to me, i had seen it at coin shows

Upvote 2

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to post: Those definitely look like they have potential to be meteorites. They are very similar to what many of the meteorites from Northwest Africa look like, and the fusion crust compared to the interior, as is very visible on the small fragment, is very characteristic of meteorites. I think these are some nice finds. I would suggest grinding a flat window to look at the interior better.

I see now that a lab verified they were meteorites. Congrats! Might I ask what lab and analyses were used?

Upvote 1

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
desert_rat95

desert_rat95

Nov 8, 2021
California
Detector(s) used
standard store bought metal detector
I was just about to post: Those definitely look like they have potential to be meteorites. They are very similar to what many of the meteorites from Northwest Africa look like, and the fusion crust compared to the interior, as is very visible on the small fragment, is very characteristic of meteorites. I think these are some nice finds. I would suggest grinding a flat window to look at the interior better.

I see now that a lab verified they were meteorites. Congrats! Might I ask what lab and analyses were used?
It was examined at geo lab and I believe xray analysis.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread