Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that's a medieval wax seal matrix. Have no idea what it says though. forum member Crusader would probably be your best help to ID it, but he may not know what it says either. It's possibly written in Latin

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Mediaeval seal matrix it is.

Reversing the image and reading clockwise from the cross at 12 o’clock it looks to read "+SIGILLI….” Followed by some letters I can’t make out. Perhaps “TRID…”

Seal Matrix.jpg

‘Sigilli’ is the genitive of ‘sigillum’ (seal), so commonly these matrices have inscriptions that begin with things like “SIGILLI MEI…” (my seal) or “SIGILLI NOSTRI…” (our seal); or the word sigilli is followed by a name, authority or religious dedication, which looks to be the case here.

That’s as far as I can get you without being able to read the rest of it in full.

OP
OP
D
Sep 21, 2021
Oxon
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Garret AT PRO
Garret ace 400i
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful seal, congratulations
Thanks for all the info people .its one of the permisions i got that just keeps on giving. New permision to hit tommorow lets see what can be found old medievil settlement a manor and hamlet and 3 moats. 3 treasure reciptes this year glad lockdown over.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Mediaeval seal matrix it is.

Reversing the image and reading clockwise from the cross at 12 o’clock it looks to read "+SIGILLI….” Followed by some letters I can’t make out. Perhaps “TRID…”

View attachment 2014181

‘Sigilli’ is the genitive of ‘sigillum’ (seal), so commonly these matrices have inscriptions that begin with things like “SIGILLI MEI…” (my seal) or “SIGILLI NOSTRI…” (our seal); or the word sigilli is followed by a name, authority or religious dedication, which looks to be the case here.

That’s as far as I can get you without being able to read the rest of it in full.
Thats what I got from it, but I'll add the following;
Normally Lead-Alloy or Copper-alloy.
13th C (maybe tip into the 14th C)
Yes Sigilli & looks like TRIDWINGIS (normally the person's name - however these names could be French/Foreign based Latin, so hard to make out Family names - plus they often start Son Of.. etc)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread