Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A quick search and I found your pointed nosed emperor. Maybe this is from the same link Cru posted? :dontknow: Dont feel bad CKaufman as you are not the first person fooled by this fake. It sold in 2008 for $75. :o This medallion appears identical right down to the one sided denticals. The weight could be changed by making a thicker casting, which yours appears to be.

What is your diameter in millimeters?

commodus fake.jpg coin souvenir.jpg commodus fake rev.jpg

It may have originated out of the Middle East. As to why were these made, its probably souvenir and not fraud. You could look in eBay maybe they will surface. Value is what anyone is willing to pay for this interesting fantasy coin.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
A quick search and I found your pointed nosed emperor. Maybe this is from the same link Cru posted? :dontknow: Dont feel bad CKaufman as you are not the first person fooled by this fake. It sold in 2008 for $75. :o This medallion appears identical right down to the one sided denticals. The weight could be changed by making a thicker casting, which yours appears to be.

What is your diameter in millimeters?

It may have originated out of the Middle East. As to why were these made, its probably souvenir and not fraud. You could look in eBay maybe they will surface. Value is what anyone is willing to pay for this interesting fantasy coin.

It was the link I first posted, but the link has changed since I did it ???

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

There are several diferences on your find to the one posted above, The sharpness of the Obverse for one, and the denticals full circle on the reverse, true the ID is leaning towards the Medallion being a copy, but I would still have it checked out :)

SS

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the casting mold details are the same but the shapes of the medallions are different. We found this to also be the case with the fake Farley coins.

Has anyone found an example of an authentic Commodus with a pointed nose emperor and Salvs sitting on a commode like seat?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions