Found this on the Beach in Florida

TheRake71

May 23, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the beach in Florida, it is solid, like rock and shell, but makes no sense to me. It's not loose anywhere, and there's no separating any part of it, but it's clearly 2 different types of material. I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like it, or possibly knows what it could be? Thanks!

Attachments

• object 2.jpg
    object 2.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 109
  • object 1.jpg
    object 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • object 3.jpg
    object 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • object 4.jpg
    object 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
OP
OP
T

TheRake71

May 23, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the gray does have some shiny specs in it, but the beige seems more shell like than rock, but it can't be shell, it's very odd.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheRake71

May 23, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks to me like a wave worn spiral shell

the thing is that both materials are fused together. there is no way to separate them, it is a solid piece. i thought if it were shell and rock, that it would be loose, or be able to come apart. it is the craziest "rock" I have ever seen, and it's been driving me nuts for weeks!

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it might be Coquina, or Tabby an early building material for mortar and cement used in Florida back at least 300 years. As a building material, coquina is lightweight, easy to find (it’s indigenous to the Florida coast), easy to use, and nearly indestructible. Not only is coquina bullet-proof, it is virtually cannon-ball- proof! The fort at St. Augustine is a great example. Coquina is natural, Tabby is man made.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/coquina-tabby.html

the thing is that both materials are fused together. there is no way to separate them, it is a solid piece. i thought if it were shell and rock, that it would be loose, or be able to come apart. it is the craziest "rock" I have ever seen, and it's been driving me nuts for weeks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3rd picture looks like there is a seam and some smaller spots of quartz or whatever that lighter colored material is embedded. Curious indeed. Consider showing it to a geologist or moving to the rocks forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seakur

Greenie
Oct 2, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcaliburII -Safari; Garrett Deepseeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the beach in Florida, it is solid, like rock and shell, but makes no sense to me. It's not loose anywhere, and there's no separating any part of it, but it's clearly 2 different types of material. I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like it, or possibly knows what it could be? Thanks!
It looks like a piece of carved abalone shell. Nice!

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a number of marine fossils that still are partially shell, not uncommon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions