Upvote 25

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Is it bronze? The type of metal might help date it…the smart guys here should be able to help narrow it down.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a type of bell they put on cows and sheep to help locate the herd or flock.

OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I have read reports where they used these bells when they tied their horses up at night in camp. I was looking for the edge of a 6 mile camp that stayed for a week before marching on Spanish Fort. I am thinking I have found a forward guard position as there are signs of fires 16” deep. It is the same size as the Union bell with the eagle but it has a cross in its place.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sadly without a multitude of other items found on same location, there is no way to identify that bell as being part of a military camp. There should be a bunch of other finds that support your theory. camp lead, military related items like buckles, buttons, standard mess kit items, or other things that usually only existed in the military. and you need enough of this stuff to prove it was not just an item or two lost after the war. say if you found a military button and a musket ball, that does not mean military camp. But if you found multiple buttons, camp lead like miscast bullets or trim offs from moulds, buttons, and a buckle or gun sling part and so on, then you might have a camp or skirmish site.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that,it,s very nice!Even if it,s not some kind of fancy deal you can hang it up at your deer camp or similar location to ring for chow time,then when someone asks you get to tell the story of how you found it!Neat!Really hope it turns out to be something big time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions