Found yesterday, cleaned today and I think it's at least gold plated. Any info on the age or type of jewelry this would be appreciated

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20220701_101924.jpg

20220630_213011_HDR.jpg
20220630_213023_HDR.jpg

I thought it was brass when I first dug it, but I got home and started scratching at the rusted looking areas with my fingernail and it comes off really easily to reveal shiny gold. I held it up to a gold ring I found under 10x zoom and the metal looks exactly the same.

I broke one of the clasps trying to bend it back into shape and it looks like a pewter/silver/lead color on the inside. Would it be possible that the clasps were only gold-plated, while the rest was solid gold? Or, was that something that was even done? I don't want to bend the main part to find out.

Also, I can't really tell what kind of jewelry this is. The clasps don't bring anything to mind for me.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
B

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2034696
View attachment 2034697 View attachment 2034698
I thought it was brass when I first dug it, but I got home and started scratching at the rusted looking areas with my fingernail and it comes off really easily to reveal shiny gold. I held it up to a gold ring I found under 10x zoom and the metal looks exactly the same.

I broke one of the clasps trying to bend it back into shape and it looks like a pewter/silver/lead color on the inside. Would it be possible that the clasps were only gold-plated, while the rest was solid gold? Or, was that something that was even done? I don't want to bend the main part to find out.

Also, I can't really tell what kind of jewelry this is. The clasps don't bring anything to mind for me.
Oh, and it was found with the SP24 coil on the Simplex+ and rang up around 26, which is definitely in the gold range.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do an acid test, it doesn't look like gold....

OP
OP
B

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do an acid test, it doesn't look like gold....
In the pictures, it doesn't really look like gold. I promise that it does when you scratch the surface away, which I've only done in a few spots. Even that clasp that looks rusted scratched off easily. Can't find a bit of tarnish that doesn't scratch off. I'm pretty sure it's gold, just haven't done the Archimedes test yet and won't be back home for a couple days.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the pictures, it doesn't really look like gold. I promise that it does when you scratch the surface away, which I've only done in a few spots. Even that clasp that looks rusted scratched off easily. Can't find a bit of tarnish that doesn't scratch off. I'm pretty sure it's gold, just haven't done the Archimedes test yet and won't be back home for a couple days.
Hope it is for you, just in pictures it doesn't look like gold.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2034696
View attachment 2034697 View attachment 2034698

Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like pot metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread