🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Framed Silk Paintings - Japanese?

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I inherited these from a relative. My guess is they were picked up as a souvenir in the 1960s or 1970s.

A close up inspection with a loupe shows they appear to be painted silk or another cloth material.

They're pretty, but not my taste. Are they japanese? The style seems to suggest so. I'm debating if I should sell them at the flea market our at the consignment antique shop. The consignment shop will take months or years to sell them, but at least they won't be in the house. I'm just making sure these aren't extremely valuable.

Framed they are 22" x 16"
Visible silk is 15 1/2" x 13"

Any thoughts?

painting1.JPG painting4.JPG
painting3.JPG painting2.JPG
painting5.JPG

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have no idea about authenticity/value or anything like that...was doing some searching and came across this ebay listing, he suggests it's an original Chinese watercolor. However I find it interesting that it seems to have a different signature and is a different size. :dontknow:

Note that there are numerous differences, although it is essentially the same scene. Here's another version of the first picture which, again, has numerous differences although essentially the same compositional elements.

Pagoda.jpg

My feeling is that these are workshop studio paintings which, although 'originals' and may well be vintage, were churned out with multiple variations of the same scenes by multiple artists for sale to tourists and export to the West as wall art.

As a personal opinion $225 seems a bit steep for this kind of work and the other listing is more realistic at $73... although I would think $50 max would be more realistic still.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have no idea about authenticity/value or anything like that...was doing some searching and came across this ebay listing, he suggests it's an original Chinese watercolor. However I find it interesting that it seems to have a different signature and is a different size. :dontknow:

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread