Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have two jars of coins that is getting full,one of solely pennies and one of quarters,dimes,and nickels. I usually take them to Kroger to put in the Coinstar machine.If I were to get really bored one day,what types of coins should I look for that might be of value or is this too general of a question? Thanks.

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
Any dime or quarter that is 1964 or earlier. With the Pennies there are allot of varieties to look for. I would list sine if them but I'm using my phone to post this. Google Lincoln cent varieties.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend getting a current year coin book. I have one and consult it often. HH

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't go to coin star a lot of banks have these coin type machines now and they don't charge!!! Just call around

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two jars of coins that is getting full,one of solely pennies and one of quarters,dimes,and nickels. I usually take them to Kroger to put in the Coinstar machine.If I were to get really bored one day,what types of coins should I look for that might be of value or is this too general of a question? Thanks.

Oh also if you cash in alot of clad invest in a rock tumbler from harbor freight online there like 30 or 40 bucks and you will never hand clean your clad again!! Lol! Just put a couple hand fills in and flip the switch it will be clean in an hour or so!!!!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coily,

There is a mag.," Coin Prices", and it's published monthly, and has all the information you're looking for in a continually updated format.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dear coily,
If you find any morgan dollars send them to me asap.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys.We have a coin book around here somewhere. I know real silver when I see it but just wondered what key dates to look for in pennies and dimes.Jeff ya goober! :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey Jack! I'm no goober. where did you southern girls get that term anyways?
What would you do with a morgan? you don't wear shoes!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My sister calls me a goober,its a term of endearment kinda sorta. I do so wear shoes! In all seriousness I love all those old silver coins,there's just something about them besides monetary value.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know, me too. I have like 4 morgans from the 1800's. I love thinking about all the people who held them and what they may have bought.
I know it's dumb, but I like to think it's romantic

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That era in general is romantic, a gentler time for sure.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't save Brass/ Copper cents it's generally a waste of time ; unless all you have is spare time . As always in MY OPINION......Davers

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all '82 & before Memorials, they're copper with a melt value of about .04 cents.

Why do members always report false information. Pre 82 cents are a little over 2 cent melt. Plus, you didn't mention wheatbacks.
HH
enamel7

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do members always report false information. Pre 82 cents are a little over 2 cent melt. Plus, you didn't mention wheatbacks.
HH
enamel7

Looked the price up, and you're right on that - currently @ .0243. Bad info first time around.

And, WHY would wheats even be considered? We all save them! Nostalgia if nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions