Fruitport Michigan History Pomona Park

RickRobinson

May 26, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1280x, Garrett Propointer
In 1871, mineral spring water was the latest rage. Resorts popped up all over the country capitalizing on the curative benefits of magnetic mineral water. The Pomona House opened July 1st of that year. Rich patrons would take a steamer from Chicago to Grand Haven and then travel on to Fruitport. Built by the Fruitport Magnetic and Sulphur Springs Company for $500,000, the hotel was burned down twice. After it burned down in 1881, it was never rebuilt.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

The Pomona Hotel was built on the site of Fruitport Pomona Park.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet pictures Rick, thanks for sharing. looks like a great palce to do some detecting, have you tried any of those places? I'll bet there are tons of goodies in the water where the pavilion was. great stuff.

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
this park is right in fruitport the library is part ogf the park also Ive never searched it but I have seen a guy there once its not that big of a park but they still have a carnival there every year

OP
OP
RickRobinson

RickRobinson

May 26, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1280x, Garrett Propointer
I'm amazed how much is in this park. It's been hit pretty hard but I've always managed to walk away with something. I think the pavilion area would be sweet. I checked it out earlier this summer and it has a solid bottom for wading.

oldschool

Jan 25, 2009
muskegon
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
I pulled a indian head from the park last summer,it was next to some junk but the dfx picked it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread