Fun Day with Family - Few Interesting things

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this first picture under the "What Is It" forum and someone thought that the small round discs might be scale weights, and that the stamped lady was a bonnet adornment.

Anyone care to add anything? The lock is stamped D.M. & Co. I have read that it is called a powder house style lock, but I wonder if it can be dated?
Oh ya....my guess is that the item in the bottom of that picture with the lock is the tip of a boot? I have found 3 of those in the last week. There was a broken spur found in the vicinity.

Anybody know what the items are in the last picture? They appear to be made out of iron. They seem heavy for earrings and not ornate enough.

What is it_1.jpg

20170325_195546.jpg

20170325_212643.jpg

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lock is Davenport Mallory and Co., New Haven Conn., 1861-65
Also other item is shoe or boot end protector, look close some have patent date 1858, I believe, but they turn up at sites dating into late 1870s
il_570xN.872056366_sknh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lock is Davenport Mallory and Co., New Haven Conn., 1861-65
Also other item is shoe or boot end protector, look close some have patent date 1858, I believe, but they turn up at sites dating into late 1870s
View attachment 1431986

Thanks for the picture.

Any idea on the small brass discs? I have found several of these over the years (some brass and some iron). All about the same size. I seem to remember someone telling me those were scale weights, but I'm not sure.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this first picture under the "What Is It" forum and someone thought that the small round discs might be scale weights, and that the stamped lady was a bonnet adornment.

Anyone care to add anything? The lock is stamped D.M. & Co. I have read that it is called a powder house style lock, but I wonder if it can be dated?
Oh ya....my guess is that the item in the bottom of that picture with the lock is the tip of a boot? I have found 3 of those in the last week. There was a broken spur found in the vicinity.

Anybody know what the items are in the last picture? They appear to be made out of iron. They seem heavy for earrings and not ornate enough.

View attachment 1431832

View attachment 1431834

View attachment 1431835
Your last items are spur jangles

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting