Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I would write about something that happened down in Jamaica one time.

I was detecting at night on a public beach next door to my hotel. Separating the hotel and public beach was a fence and pier. I detected until about 2 or 3 AM and by then my hotel had shut down for the night (lights off, quiet). I did not realize it, but there was a late flight from Great Britain and one couple were sitting by the water in the dark, enjoying their first hour in paradise. Long story short, coming back I swam around the pier and towards the stairs for the beach entrance for the hotel. I was wearing a black wet suit, weight belt, dive knife, black dive hat, pouch for trash and goodie bag. I was holding a scoop and a detector. As I climbed out of the calm ocean, they just silently watched and as I passed by we just said "good evening" and I kept going. Next morning at breakfast, the gentleman came up to me and said in proper accented British English, "Oh you are the gentleman who swam up last night in all that dark gear. You gave us quite a fright and I was expecting you to say "Hello, my name is Bond, James Bond". We had quite the laugh over it and became quite good friends. In fact, I even visited them at their cottage in Scotland (that was some interesting detecting). Anyway, I was reminded about this earlier and thought I would share what I thought was a fun story.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good story all around

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool story. You find all kinds on the beach in the middle of the night.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and even better that y'all became such good friends. What a way to meet someone. Something you'll never forget.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Great story and funny. You could have said good evening is this Miami?

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
cool, so what was the scottland detecting like???

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scotland was very interesting. The cottage that we stayed at was a few hundred years old. There was a small creek at the back and the remains of an old mill. In the hills, maybe 300 yards away, were standing stones (huge stones that somebody pulled up there and stuck up on end). Coins and musket balls were everywhere. The coins were mostly copper and heavily corroded from years of sheep urine. Any field I detected seemed to have them.

We drove around quite a bit and everywhere was old foundations that would have been great to detect. I did look around a few remote places with the detector and again "coins and old bullets".

The cottage itself had a legend about lost gold coins. It seems an old army officer lived out his retirement there. He would wander into to the tavern in town on weekends, but otherwise stayed by himself. He paid all of his bills in gold coin. The town folk went looking for him when he failed to show up and found had died in his sleep. They of course looked everywhere for his stash, but never found it. I got some signals in the stone foundation of the cottage, but was not about to remove the rocks - none were loose that I could tell. Around the yard, there were lots of places to check, but it was a bit of an iron junkyard with centuries of discarded stuff. Consequently, I found no gold.

In one area that the locals told me was a long term Roman camp (which made sense as it was in the V of two rivers), I detected what turned out to be the hilt of a sword. I left that in Scotland.

I was in Scotland for two weeks and it went by very quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread