Garret AT Pro - general metal detecting questions

Shiloh098

Greenie
Oct 20, 2021
Somewhere in Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I have a Garret AT Pro. Will it work in a moss covered forest? The moss is so thick it’s got between 4 and 6 inches thick. If it will work what kind of settings should I pay attention to?

Also will this detector work on sandy or salt water covered rocky areas? If so, what settings should I pay attention too. I’ve tried using it on salt water places but always get false signals.

Any thing you guys can pass along I will greatly appreciate it. I’m new to metal detecting.

Thank you - Sam

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have an at pro as well. from videos and reading the at pro does not like saltwater. dry sand would be ok. a few have said it will work in saltwater but you have to change the fequency and ground balance often. im not sure on your question about thick moss.

OP
OP
S

Shiloh098

Greenie
Oct 20, 2021
Somewhere in Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hello Kype, thank you for the response. Ya, it doesn’t seem to like salt water even though they built it as waterproof.

I still have so much to learn with it. Found some rusty metal with it on a saltwater shore though.

Thanks again Kype and good hunting to you :)

Travel240z

Greenie
Dec 16, 2018
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, Previous detectors were the Garrett AT series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shiloh,
I saved this a while ago but have not made it back to any salt water areas since the pandemic started. Try this,

1. Press and hold the power button (to do factory reset)

2. Lower sensitivity 3 notches down from maximum.

3. Select Zero mode.

4 Set Iron Disc. to 43

5. Set threshold to negative 3 (-3) . AT Max only

6. With coil in water or wet sand auto ground balance.

7. After ground balacing, go to manual balance and lower the number by 2 t0 3 (sometimes I go down to 5). This will slighty negatively ground balance the detector.

The above program will quiet down the AT-Max on salt water beach's with out loosing significant depth. This has also been noted as working on the AT-Pro although you are missing the threshold setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread