Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to re calculate the cost a bit. Even their ill fated pin pointer cost about $30 more than that. Could search the used market and find something pretty good for near that amount.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A used 150 should fit the price but lacks pinpointing,though an X swung over target will in time tell you where it is. Depth,mehhhh. At several inches you might be missing a bit. If you could find a 250 or 350 for a hundred used (and likely well used) it would be worth a shot. A double D coil preferred given a choice but likely won,t be seen till an ace 350. Deep is going to be affected by a variety of things. Coil size and any thing between you and a deep item. Soil conditions,moisture level ect..Several inches about it for ace series,for me on coins when things are just right. It gets arguable, and that's fair, money wise above a few hundred dollars where greater depth ability comes in and users understanding of unit. Maybe check prices around at pawn shops and craigslist in area near you on a 250 but don,t check them out till you research how they work and how to test them. Not to nag but be careful with where you meet sellers.
A 250 will get you started and make a decent back up if you upgrade down the road. A detector shop with demo units may help too but again depth is tricky to declare with out running unit where you hunt to prove, and your familiarity with it. Six or seven inches a wild guess on maximum depth ability consistently on coins around here well west of you and that when conditions are favorable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A used 150 should fit the price but lacks pinpointing,though an X swung over target will in time tell you where it is. Depth,mehhhh. At several inches you might be missing a bit. If you could find a 250 or 350 for a hundred used (and likely well used) it would be worth a shot. A double D coil preferred given a choice but likely won,t be seen till an ace 350. Deep is going to be affected by a variety of things. Coil size and any thing between you and a deep item. Soil conditions,moisture level ect..Several inches about it for ace series,for me on coins when things are just right. It gets arguable, and that's fair, money wise above a few hundred dollars where greater depth ability comes in and users understanding of unit. Maybe check prices around at pawn shops and craigslist in area near you on a 250 but don,t check them out till you research how they work and how to test them. Not to nag but be careful with where you meet sellers. A 250 will get you started and make a decent back up if you upgrade down the road. A detector shop with demo units may help too but again depth is tricky to declare with out running unit where you hunt to prove, and your familiarity with it. Six or seven inches a wild guess on maximum depth ability consistently on coins around here well west of you and that when conditions are favorable.

So a garret 250 or fisher f2? Which one is better? And is a garret pro pointer worth it

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello TH101,

IMO, I think the Fisher F2 new package may be hard to beat.. $215 comes with 2 coils(8" and 4") and a pointer with 5 year warr. or around $150 used. The Garrett Ace 350 can be had for just around $175-225 price used or $300+ new package.

They are both VLF units and the Ace 350 may have a slight edge on the F2 but not for the $$$ IMO...

Check them out....

T

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret ProPointer. It will go as deep as you want to dig a hole.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garret ProPointer. It will go as deep as you want to dig a hole.

Ok thanks I'll save up for it!!! :)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A Garrett ace or the F2 coils can be submerged, never the control box. I have not run a fisher F2 but price point brings it in above an Ace . As Top Dog writes two coils and pinpointer involved just over a couple bills going to be tempting.
I like the pro pointer , have a couple and so far so good. Hard to say what brand is best without trying them all enough to learn them. Time I say which is better the other will outperform it one day and another brand the next.:laughing7: Sometimes a brief thought is does running a different brand detector where others run multiples of same models of other brands give better results? Part of the answer may be that when same people use a different unit they find things they did not with previous unit. Is it the detector or user or both? Hard pressed I would say what ever of your options of machines you learn the best will give best results. Not familiar with wet sand abilities of the F2 so there's more research for you in comparing it to a 250. Research is worth it even when it seems like work when choosing your gear and sites. Part of the deal.
Your budget a factor. Your experience with detecting another. A decent entry level unit a good start. If you stick with it in time you will probably want to upgrade but not want to turn your back on understanding the unit your familiar with at the same time so a little ability to create custom settings helps some picks. Batteries used another consideration that is really up to you. We're all learning as we go.The fun is new beginnings sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Garrett ace or the F2 coils can be submerged, never the control box. I have not run a fisher F2 but price point brings it in above an Ace . As Top Dog writes two coils and pinpointer involved just over a couple bills going to be tempting. I like the pro pointer , have a couple and so far so good. Hard to say what brand is best without trying them all enough to learn them. Time I say which is better the other will outperform it one day and another brand the next.:laughing7: Sometimes a brief thought is does running a different brand detector where others run multiples of same models of other brands give better results? Part of the answer may be that when same people use a different unit they find things they did not with previous unit. Is it the detector or user or both? Hard pressed I would say what ever of your options of machines you learn the best will give best results. Not familiar with wet sand abilities of the F2 so there's more research for you in comparing it to a 250. Research is worth it even when it seems like work when choosing your gear and sites. Part of the deal.

Ok too long I gotta be honest I got bored lol :)

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a good pinpointer tip...If you find a coin at the depth limit of your metal detector, say 6 or 7 inches, after you pull out the coin, probe the bottom of the hole again with the pinpointer. There could be another coin 2 or 3 inches deeper into the hole that your metal detector will not pick up at 9 or 10 inches...good luck!

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a good pinpointer tip...If you find a coin at the depth limit of your metal detector, say 6 or 7 inches, after you pull out the coin, probe the bottom of the hole again with the pinpointer. There could be another coin 2 or 3 inches deeper into the hole that your metal detector will not pick up at 9 or 10 inches...good luck!

Thanks for the tip !

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And is a garret pro pointer worth it?
YES!
It will save you hours of dig time.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the ACE 250 if you are on a budget.... if not buy the AT PRO at $600.00....

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the ACE 250 if you are on a budget.... if not buy the AT PRO at $600.00....

I also don't want a difficult detector either

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread