Garrett Ace Apex opinions wanted

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say I have heard much good about it. Seems to be very noisy in the Iron from the videos I have watched- Its priced right between the Simplex/Vanguish line and the new Legend. Personally if I didn't want to spend the money on the legend I would probably take a look at the Minelab Vanquish as I hear that is the better machine.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife wants this machine.
For the money it costs, is this a good machine for modern trash and iron laden spots or for the money is there a better choice?
Thanks
Happy Hunting.....

I do own an Apex. It is a very fun machine to use.

Very good build
Wireless headphones are fantastic.
Garrett has a pinpointer that can pair with the headphones.
Menu is easy to navigate
Weather proof (don't dunk the control unit under water)
5 tones
Does really well with regards to avoiding EMI
Does much better in trash (iron and/or modern) than many people give it credit for. But no - it isn't going to match your Equinox.
Does very well in wet salt-sand.
Has both iron volume and iron audio - meaning you can choose whether you hear the iron, and how loud, or not.
Do not use iron audio if hunting in zero mode (all ID's accepted) - it makes good targets give a "bad" tone.
Mode selections seem to change nothing other than the amount of discrimination.
No ability to change recovery speed.
No ability to change tone breaks.

When a ferrous item is close to a non-ferrous item, the Apex will tend to give an ID that is downgraded toward the ferrous item, but you'd still get some good tones mixed in with the iron tones. You have to listen to the tones.

On the Apex iron (non-ferrous) ID's up to 35, so everything above 35 is non-ferrous. So a Quarter near a rusty nail isn't going to ID as a Quarter, but it will ID above iron. That, coupled with the good tones (mixed in with the iron tones) is a clue that there is a good target somewhere among the iron trash.

For my ears (and sanity) I have to run the iron volume low - as in 1 or 2 - anything higher than that tends to make it very difficult for me to separate the good tones from the iron tones. I mostly hunt in relic mode (most of the iron is discriminated out, but not all) and have iron audio OFF. When I hear a target that I wish to investigate further, I hit the button to turn iron audio on - that way I hear all the iron and can decide whether I wish to dig, or not.

A "clean" target (one with no trash nearby) will give a very steady ID.

I do think there are other machines that you might wish to consider, but the Apex is a good machine.

The Vanquish is deeper (than the Apex). At least in cleaner soil it is deeper. I think the Apex is better in iron trash but the Vanquish is probably better in modern trash. The Vanquish can do everything the Apex can, but it isn't weatherproof. Of those two machines, I prefer the Apex. Most people prefer the Vanquish. One huge benefit, for your wife, with the Vanquish is that the ID's will be the same as your Equinox. So it would be very easy to help her learn the Vanquish.

Another option is the Equinox 600. You already know about that so no need for my thoughts.

The Simplex is a machine that should be considered. Excellent performance and it is waterproof. It is a single frequency machine though, so saltwater hunting isn't its forte.

Priced higher than the Vanquish, Apex, and Simplex - but lower than the Equinox 600 - is the Legend. Excellent performance. Waterproof and multi-frequency. Comes with Bluetooth wireless headphones (they're very good).

Good luck with whichever machine you choose.

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE have 2 of the Apex's work just fine when it set up correctly. The iron grunt can be changed , an it fines nickels like a champ among other coins. GOOD VALUE

OP
OP
uhfradarwill

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
I do own an Apex. It is a very fun machine to use.

Very good build
Wireless headphones are fantastic.
Garrett has a pinpointer that can pair with the headphones.
Menu is easy to navigate
Weather proof (don't dunk the control unit under water)
5 tones
Does really well with regards to avoiding EMI
Does much better in trash (iron and/or modern) than many people give it credit for. But no - it isn't going to match your Equinox.
Does very well in wet salt-sand.
Has both iron volume and iron audio - meaning you can choose whether you hear the iron, and how loud, or not.
Do not use iron audio if hunting in zero mode (all ID's accepted) - it makes good targets give a "bad" tone.
Mode selections seem to change nothing other than the amount of discrimination.
No ability to change recovery speed.
No ability to change tone breaks.

When a ferrous item is close to a non-ferrous item, the Apex will tend to give an ID that is downgraded toward the ferrous item, but you'd still get some good tones mixed in with the iron tones. You have to listen to the tones.

On the Apex iron (non-ferrous) ID's up to 35, so everything above 35 is non-ferrous. So a Quarter near a rusty nail isn't going to ID as a Quarter, but it will ID above iron. That, coupled with the good tones (mixed in with the iron tones) is a clue that there is a good target somewhere among the iron trash.

For my ears (and sanity) I have to run the iron volume low - as in 1 or 2 - anything higher than that tends to make it very difficult for me to separate the good tones from the iron tones. I mostly hunt in relic mode (most of the iron is discriminated out, but not all) and have iron audio OFF. When I hear a target that I wish to investigate further, I hit the button to turn iron audio on - that way I hear all the iron and can decide whether I wish to dig, or not.

A "clean" target (one with no trash nearby) will give a very steady ID.

I do think there are other machines that you might wish to consider, but the Apex is a good machine.

The Vanquish is deeper (than the Apex). At least in cleaner soil it is deeper. I think the Apex is better in iron trash but the Vanquish is probably better in modern trash. The Vanquish can do everything the Apex can, but it isn't weatherproof. Of those two machines, I prefer the Apex. Most people prefer the Vanquish. One huge benefit, for your wife, with the Vanquish is that the ID's will be the same as your Equinox. So it would be very easy to help her learn the Vanquish.

Another option is the Equinox 600. You already know about that so no need for my thoughts.

The Simplex is a machine that should be considered. Excellent performance and it is waterproof. It is a single frequency machine though, so saltwater hunting isn't its forte.

Priced higher than the Vanquish, Apex, and Simplex - but lower than the Equinox 600 - is the Legend. Excellent performance. Waterproof and multi-frequency. Comes with Bluetooth wireless headphones (they're very good).

Good luck with whichever machine you choose.
Fantastic info, thanks very much for taking the time it is appreciated!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread