Garrett ace

Navyman

Dec 7, 2019
East central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my Garrett ace 250 works sometimes and other times it won’t detect anything.
I have an electrical background and would like to try and troubleshoot it my self.
It has been kept in great shape,no damage.hasnever been dropped.
Are their schematics available? What kind of tests can I do? What kind of readings should I get from the coil.?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First check all connecting cables. Make sure they are snug tight. Check the battery housing for corrosion. Batteries may have been left in the machine. I would replace the batteries with new ones now. Other than that it may need factory service. You can go online for a manual.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Navyman,

What mode were you in?? When it would not detect anything?? Have you played around with any of the mode settings?? (I.E. - Notched out anything like pull-tabs or iron)

Got-Good-Tones

OP
OP
N

Navyman

Dec 7, 2019
East central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not detect anything in any mode. Just turned in on and all icons lit up and sounded like a slot machine paying out!
That lasted for about 10 seconds then it seemed to work fine. Its intermittent. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Navyman,

Think I'd be contacting tech support...maybe get an RMA and send that puppy back if it's still in warranty. I've got an Ace 400 (Still in warranty) and it seems to be having issues as well. Sometimes it will turn off right away...sometimes it might take 2-10 times before it will shut off...same thing turning it on...:dontknow: Also having issues with the "Pinpoint" button...sometimes I can get it to pinpoint right away...other times I might have to press the button 10-15 times...:dontknow: Kind of hit & miss...:BangHead:

Got-Good-Tones

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It would not detect anything in any mode. Just turned in on and all icons lit up and sounded like a slot machine paying out!
That lasted for about 10 seconds then it seemed to work fine. Its intermittent. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t.

Have you tried a master reset?
Press and hold power button 5-10 seconds until it beeps.

OP
OP
N

Navyman

Dec 7, 2019
East central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was looking at the Garrett 150 again. The resistance of the receive coil is still around 4 ohms. Seems good.
The resistance of the transmit coil yesterday was around 20 million ohms and today it reads infinity! Go figure.
I’m just going to replace the coil. There is a small nick on the outer coil,which is the transmit coil. but nothing is exposed.
Are these coils that sensitive to impact?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread